Saturday, 13 August 2011

"I don't want to go to heaven, none of my friends are there" - Oscar Wilde


So I've had a wonderful week despite the very upsetting news concerning the riots in the UK.  On Monday I got a train to Frankfurt Airport to pick up my best friend.  It was a very lovely and smooth trip up thank goodness because I was on the ICE train and those are fantastic trains.  The landscape going down the Frankfurt is so beautiful as well, a lot of the times the train line runs along side the river Main so all in all it was a pleasant journey if albeit a little strange.  When I usually travel to airports it's because I'm flying, not picking someone up so it made a nice change from the usual.

I won't post too many pictures of my friend because I don't want to put too much of her out on the internet without her knowing, but here she is on the left.  She looks averagely tall next to me but baring in mind I'm only 4ft11 (1m49), she just about come in under average height.  We've only known each other for 2 years but it feels much longer than that, we became friends in freshers week at university and just clicked straight away.  We have a great friendship in the sense that we don't have to talk all the time and we can just enjoy each other's company.  She tells me off when I'm being unreasonable (this only really happens after I get argumentative with my boyfriend after a few too many wines), and I try to keep her cheerful when she's down.  It's a good balance.


So we did all the touristy things together, I took her to the Residenz where the new version of The Three Musketeers was filmed last autumn.  Yes Orlando Bloom, Christopher Waltz, Matthew Mcfayden and Logan Lerman (amongst others) were in my town and I had no idea about it.  Kicking myself as we type.  To add insult to injury the tour guide told us that during the filming they were still doing tours, so seeing Orlando Bloom would have been a possibility.  I hope they enjoyed filming in the beautiful Residenz and they also filmed on the fortress on the hill overlooking the town, and you get this fantastic view.  I forget how beautiful this town is sometimes.


Meet me and my stumpy legs.  We walked to the top of the hill to get to the Fortress and had a nice lunch in the beergarden there (pommes frites and bretzel, what more can you want?).  Then the next day we took a boat up the river and went to the palatial summer residence which has an amazing garden with a lake in it (see first photo).  I don't usually see these things unless I'm showing someone around so being a tour guide reminded me of what a nice place I live in, even if I struggle with some of the German traits that I'm not used to after living in the UK for so long.


Cardigan: Zara
Top: H&M
Jeans: TopShop
Bag: Urban Outfitters
Camera: eBay
My best friend was also a superstar because she lugged my latest ebay purchase with her: a white mini Diana lomo camera.  More about that in my sunday sessions tomorrow.



You can't go to Germany without eating a Schnitzel, at dinner mine resembled the USA slightly.  I made it to the midwest before I had to admit defeat.  



In Franconia we make the best wines ever.  True fact and non disputable.  Plus in the beergarden you don't drink it out of a wine glass so it doesn't feel quite as dangerous to get drunk off.  There is seriously nothing better than sitting in the late afternoon sun with your best friend drinking wine.  The other upside is there here good wine is not expensive, makes a nice change from the £4.99 bottles of wine that I drink at university.  


Cat blouse: Zara
Jeans: TopShop
Boots: River Island
Knitted cardigan: H&M

The on the last evening we went out for a few drinks, I've never been on a night out where I live so that was interesting to see.  We ended up on a boat in the river, it's interesting to see what Germans wear on a night out.  I'm used to feeling underdressed in Cardiff next to all those girls with their fake tan, high heels and tiny dresses.  This time I was overdressed.  Most people were in jeans and t-shirt.  Kind of cool but I think in the long run I'd get bored of everyone wearing the same thing.  One thing that I know I'm sick of though is people wearing jeggings as trousers. JUST NO.  But jeggings aside I've had a wonderful week.  I miss my friend terribly already but now it's time to start writing out to do lists for my move to France, we're not leaving until the 24th now so it doesn't feel so soon but the end of my summer and the start of my ERASMUS year is creeping upon me. Squeee.

No comments

Post a Comment

All your comments are very much appreciated! If you have any questions either leave them with your comments or get in touch with me here: ninanenor@gmail.com @the_littlenomad

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
| the little nomad |. All rights reserved. © Maira Gall.