Sunday, 21 August 2011

Keep calm and drink tea


So my days here in Germany are numbered, France is happening on Tuesday.  Today has been a strange mix of emotions, from waking up wanting to burst into tears, dad having to partly fill in my paperwork because my hand was shaking so badly, to relief and then stress at the lack of packing that has been going on.  I normally enjoy packing because it means I'm about to start a mini adventure.  This is so much bigger than that.  This is a 9 month commitment in a totally new culture.  I am both excited and bricking it.  



I just don't understand how I seem to be under the impression that I have 'nothing to wear'.  Not pictured in the second photo is the crate of shoes that I am taking, my coats and my second crate filled with personal things such as my make up bag and little bits and bobs.  Dad has just helped me pack up and through some utter miracle it's managed to fit into my blue samsonite and my red board case.  The crates are just being put into the car, thank god I don't have to fly that would be impossible to do.  Once I pack up in France I need to seriously streamline my wardrobe, this can't carry on like this.  It was actually hard packing up my personal things because I can't take that many with me, everything that comes with me also has to come back.  I've only taken my favorite books which are Jane Eyre, The Old Man and the Sea, So Bright and Delicate: Love Letters and Poems of John Keats to Fanny Brawne and The Perks of Being a Wallflower.  Then I've also got a pile of printed out photos to decorate the walls in my new place, including the order of service sheet from my Godfather's memorial. which I take everywhere with me.

Then there's the other essentials: tea and a French phrase book.  I'm not sure what brand of tea there is in France and I am super picky about my tea.  According to Mum who's been to France a few times herbal tea is big over there.  But I can't be long without my Earl Grey.  If this runs out by the time my other half comes in November I'm making him bring me a big box of Yorkshire tea.  Now that my suitcases are packed I'm just resigned to what's going to happen.  I'm looking forward to a new adventure, my last one was coming to uni two years ago and I'm so ready for a change of scenery and to meet new people.  I think once I get to France lots of things will click into place and I can't wait to go traveling around France and Europe.  One of my friends is in Bordeaux for the first semester and then in Venice for her second semester so visiting for sure.  It's about time my adventure started, I'm going to make the most out of it.

5 comments

  1. wow you're gonna have an adventure and a half! france will be so amazing, as one of the fashion capitals of the world as well! must have been emotional though :/ take loads of earl grey, and maybe that load of clothes will be a lot to carry haha :P xxx

    http://ronanronanronan.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. All these adverntures! I really love traveling but I still haven't been out of the U.S. Have a great time on your travels!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't worry, I'm leaving for my year abroad in France next Monday and I'm packing a big box of PG Tips too :)

    Where about's are you going?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great blog lovely, you are so pretty :) xx

    http://stylefashionvintagebaby.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

All your comments are very much appreciated! If you have any questions either leave them with your comments or get in touch with me here: ninanenor@gmail.com @the_littlenomad

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
| the little nomad |. All rights reserved. © Maira Gall.