Thursday, 4 August 2011

racing thoughts





Dress: TopShop
Red sequin flats: Kenneth Cole
Denim jacket: vintage
Belt: Primark
Orange ring: vintage
Silver ring: from Oman
Book: Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë


Also no make up today.  I've been lazy recently.

I literally ploughed through The Tenant of Wildfell Hall and was up until half past midnight finishing it and then stayed up until 3:30 to watch the three part BBC adaptation.  I couldn't help myself  There were so many familiar faces from other period dramas including the wonderful Toby Stephens (Mr Rochester in the 2006 adaptation of Jane Eyre) be still my beating heart and Tara FitzGerald (Mrs Reed also in the 2006 adaptation of Jane Eyre).  I can't resist a man in period costume, much less when he's got a Northern accent.  So despite the fact that I have a huge pile of new books to read I'm going back to Jane Eyre.  The newest adaptation with Michael Fassbender (one of the few Germans I find attractive) and Mia Wasikowska has made me want to read the book again.

I really recommend that if you ever get the chance to go up to Haworth and see the Brontë parsonage do! It's such a wonderful experience and really enriches your reading of all the sister's novels.  Being in the the middle of nowhere and having all this fantastic Yorkshire landscape around you changes the way you perceive the books and they become more alive than they already are.  I've been twice, once with my parents in Spring and then on a school trip in November when it was chucking it down with rain and we ate roasted chestnuts.  Really fond memories and when I read the descriptions of the landscape in Jane Eyre I feel really nostalgic and the writing really touches my heart.  I think that's the sign of exceptional literature.

No comments

Post a Comment

All your comments are very much appreciated! If you have any questions either leave them with your comments or get in touch with me here: ninanenor@gmail.com @the_littlenomad

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
| the little nomad |. All rights reserved. © Maira Gall.