Tuesday, 13 December 2011

A Fever You Can't Sweat Out

Trip to Malaysia in 2006

 
 
 
 

When I was 15 my family and I went on a ten day trip to Malaysia.  We were living in Qatar at the time and wanted to get away for a little while and none of us had ever been to Asia, and it made a lot of sense traveling from Qatar because it takes very little effort to travel to Asia from the Middle East because of the excellent flight connections with airlines such as Emirates or Qatar Airways.  We had such a wonderful time, I didn't realise how much I miss KL (Kuala Lumpur) until I found our huge amounts of photos hidden in my iPhoto, being pushed aside from the endless photos of my friends and I in clubs from our first year at university.  

Malaysia was amazing.  It would rain every day in the afternoon at almost the exact time as the day before.  It was amazing to experience rain like that, we don't get much of that in Oman.  I also remember KL being very clean and so green, obviously from all the rain.  When we went we had a few days exploring KL before heading up the the tea highlands which was fantastic.  The hotel we stayed in some like something from the 80's with temperamental plumbing but we had the most fantastic view from our balcony of the jungle (third picture from the bottom).  We got to see a factory that produces tea and then got to drink the tea they made there whilst sat on the terrace over looking the tea plantations.  I have so many good memories from that trip, most of them are food related as well.  The hotel we stayed at in KL left us desserts in our rooms in the evenings after my Mum had an incident with a malfunctioning hairdryer and the hotel paid us back in desserts.  Plus the street food in KL was amazing, so many choices of fried rice or noodles and it was all so cheap!

Every time I listen to A Fever You Can't Sweat Out by Panic! At The Disco I always end up thinking back to this trip.  I'd bought that album on iTunes on the spur of the moment just before we went to the airport to fly out to KL and I listened to that album the whole time I was in Malaysia.  It's funny how music brings back old memories.


Next on my Asia visit wish list: Hong Kong and Singapore.

1 comment

  1. I listened to Panic when I was around 14 and you're right that music can trigger that sort of nostaglic emotion. It's a pleasent feeling though, makes you smile.

    These photographs are stunning, I've only been to Berlin and it made me want to travel more. I love England but I'd love to travel and broaden my knowledge of other cultures.

    ReplyDelete

All your comments are very much appreciated! If you have any questions either leave them with your comments or get in touch with me here: ninanenor@gmail.com @the_littlenomad

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
| the little nomad |. All rights reserved. © Maira Gall.