Monday, 19 December 2011

Hurts Like Heaven

The boat on the far left belongs to the Sultan:
perfume bottles:
 sunset from my room:

A few days ago mum and me took a little trip to the Muttrah souq which is right by the sea and overlooks the port.  The souq is apparently one of the oldest in the Arab world 'owing to the fact that Muscat is the world's largest natural harbor and has seen immense trade in the age of sail, being strategically located on the way to India and China' (thank you wikipedia).  The port is pretty impressive and you can see the Sultan's personal boat being anchored there, as well as the huge tourist cruisers that pull in at various parts of the year.  The souq becomes very busy when there are tourists and the shopping becomes pretty unbearable.  But mum and me were in luck there wasn't a tourist ship in sight.  My mum buys a lot of her fabric here and it's always nice to come for a browse.  We always take friends and family here when they come to visit and the concluding stop of our souq trip every time without fail is at the shawarma shop.  It's a tiny little shop only run by two men and it has been there for as long as I can remember.  A shawarma is a food staple in the Arabic world, it's like a kebab but also not really.  The definition of a shawarma according to wikipedia: 'Shawarma is a Levantine Arab sandwich-like wrap of shaved lamb, goat, chicken, turkey, beef, or mixed meats. The meat is placed on a spit, and may be grilled for as long as a day. It is eaten with pita bread, tabbouleh, fattoush, taboon bread, tomato and cucumber. Toppings include tahini, hummus, pickled turnips and amba'.  The ones we eat from this little stall are wrapped in fresh pitta bread, accompanied with salad and a bit of tabasco sauce.  It's delicious and costs next to nothing, only something like 30 pence for one.  It may be off putting to tourists because the shop looks a little grimy but the lamb meat just melts in your mouth.

I don't have much planned for the rest of the holidays, my family put the tree up yesterday and went to the carol singing at my brother's school yesterday.  The general plan is to just enjoy being at home and to read lots of books, as well as go to the beach a lot.  Sadly today we've had some 'bad weather', it's been very cloudy and there's been a strong slightly chilly wind.  Not good beach weather at all.  

A quirky little Oman fact: the weekend here is Thursday and Friday.  It gets me really confused when I'm fighting my jet lag and forgetting what day of the week it is.

I hope you are all getting into the holiday spirit, if any of you have book recommendations I'd really appreciate it I have no idea where to start

x
Nina


3 comments

  1. I'm so envious of your christmas! It looks beautiful and sounds amazing - i love your cute little facts too :)

    Fashion Stereotype

    ReplyDelete
  2. ALL OF YOUR PHOTOS ARE SO AMAZING. I was going to email you but I can't find one. ♥

    ReplyDelete

All your comments are very much appreciated! If you have any questions either leave them with your comments or get in touch with me here: ninanenor@gmail.com @the_littlenomad

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
| the little nomad |. All rights reserved. © Maira Gall.