Friday, 23 December 2011

Winter Wonderland

 I stepped on this shell, painful would be an understatement:

Friday in Oman is the equivalent to Sunday in Europe, so today my family and I went for a walk along the public beach not too far from us.  This beach is probably my favorite place in the whole world, it's so relaxing to be right by the sea and collect shells.  We managed to get to the beach at  low tide so we saw loads of starfish and whenever we were walking through the water we nearly always ended up stepping on them as they were burying themselves in the sand.  Oops.  The only thing that I find really sad about the beach is that so many people drive their cars right onto the beach and when they come to have picnics they just leave all their rubbish behind.  It irritates me because there is plenty of car parking before the beach so there's no need to drive all the way onto the beach, but I guess some people just can't be bothered to walk from their cars to their picnic spots.  Who knows?  Also someone has taken to renting out jet skis to locals and tourists so the beach isn't as quite as it used to be.  But nonetheless we had a great afternoon and finished it off with some lunch out.

For some people the idea of spending christmas in a relatively warm place must be strange but for me it seems so natural.  Going on a pre christmas walk along the beach has been a sort of family tradition for a long time, and I wouldn't have it any other way.   The only real downside of Christmas in the Middle East is that we don't have a real Christmas tree, they are sold here but because they have to be imported they cost a fortune and look pretty battered.  

Tomorrow we're going for lunch in a hotel just outside of Muscat and I'll be sure to take some photos.  Because my family is German we celebrate Christmas on the 24th and open our presents that evening, and we don't have stockings sadly.  Some Germans also don't believe in 'Santa' per se, but rather the 'Christkind' which for my family is slightly ironic because apparently we're Catholics (far from practicing) and the Christkind was encouraged by Martin Luther (a Protestant) to be the counter to St. Nikolas, so there you have it.  When I was younger it was always torture having to wake up on the 24th and know that the Christkind wasn't going to be visiting until the evening, I was always jealous of my British friends who'd wake up (albeit a day later) and have their presents already there.  But since getting older Christmas has become so much more relaxing and it's fun seeing my younger brother still get so excited about it.

I hope you all have a great weekend and that the Christmas days are peaceful and happy
x
Nina


p.s: set up a google email address so feel free to get in touch with me via ninanenor@googlemail.com

2 comments

  1. The beach looks amazing!
    http://xtheperfectmess.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

All your comments are very much appreciated! If you have any questions either leave them with your comments or get in touch with me here: ninanenor@gmail.com @the_littlenomad

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
| the little nomad |. All rights reserved. © Maira Gall.