Wednesday, 15 February 2012

I wanna be the King of Spain - Barcelona day two

(I'm wearing: black dress from Urban Outfitters, blazer from Taifun/Gerry Webber, polka dot tights from Zara, Primark shoes, faux fur stole from H&M, Ray Bans and a vintage bag from the flea market)
(Nutella and Strawberry ice cream)
(Snow at 2:30 am after leaving a bar)

Day II of my adventures in Barcelona started with a slow start into the day after a lunch at Wok To Walk (not very Spanish I know but I'd been craving noodles for weeks at this point).  We then took the metro and headed up to Park Güell, which was designed by the Catalan architect Antoni Gaudí and built in the years 1900 to 1914, and is part of the UNESCO World Heritage Site "Works of Antoni Gaudí".  It was so beautiful up there, the houses at the entrance reminded me of the gingerbread house from Hansel and Gretel.  It felt very magical and peaceful despite the fact that there were a lot of people around us.  The park is massive so once you step away from the entrance it's easy to avoid the crowds.  The views of the city were breath taking and you could see the grid layout of Barcelona, something that I always identify more with American cities rather than European ones.  The only thing that let the morning down was that we walked past a man by some bushes having some 'one on one time' with himself in plain sight of anyone that walked past him.  You get some really strange people in big cities.  But other than that bizarre moment we had a great time at Güell.

After an ice cream stop back in the centre of Barcelona we took the metro to Sagrada Família. The church was also designed by Gaudí who dedicated the last years of his life to the project, and when he did die only a quarter of the church was complete.  It's been an on and off process of construction with the interruption of the Spanish Civil War amongst other things.  The church is supposedly due for completion in 2026.  Sagrada Família has two very different sides to it; the one being designed by Gaudí and the other being a newer creation, designed more as an homage to Gaudí rather than being a direct imitation.  Which would be impossible to do.  We didn't go into Sagrada Família because sadly it costs €13 for a ticket, which was a little too expensive for my budget.

That evening we went out for some drinks with my friend's flatmates.  I don't speak any Spanish other than 'no habla español' and no Catalan whatsoever, but it was still so easy to get along with everyone and I understood enough of the conversations, French and Spanish are very similar.  When we left the bar we got the shock of our lives when we realised it was snowing.  It was a very surreal moment, it was the last thing I had expected to see on my trip.  

Barcelona really impressed me with it's beautiful architecture.  From what I saw of the city centre there weren't very many eye sores, and it seems like a lot of effort has gone into making Barcelona a joy to look at.  Even looking over all the photos I took (300+) makes me want to jump on a train and go back.  What a beautiful city.

x
Nina


4 comments

  1. Ha! 'Tourist Go Home'! Hilarious! These pictures are so dreamy! That nutella ice cream looks DELICIOUS.

    Jessica | Vixenelle

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved Barcelona when I went a few years ago. 'Tourists go home' haha.
    You're making me want ice cream for breakfast though.

    Great blog by the way, I'm now following xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohh, it truly is a beautiful city! <3 The architecture looks spectacular!

    x
    Lost in the Haze: Fashion Blog

    ReplyDelete

All your comments are very much appreciated! If you have any questions either leave them with your comments or get in touch with me here: ninanenor@gmail.com @the_littlenomad

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
| the little nomad |. All rights reserved. © Maira Gall.