In the light of my grandfather's passing on the 14th of March I've been thinking a lot about everything that has been happening and my own life choices. My grandfather never thought about dying, in a way I think he didn't think that it was actually going to happen. As strange as it sounds. He hadn't prepared much in the way of what he wanted to happen after his passing, all he did say was that he wanted to be cremated. We buried his urn in the family grave last Wednesday and seeing his little urn that contained his ashes and the ashes of the coffin he was cremated in, had a profound effect on me. It left me feeling that here must be more to life than being placed in a grave and that being the end of that.
So in the wake of his passing I've decided to join the NHS organ donation register.
• 90% of the British population is supportive of organ donation, yet only 29% of the population has signed up to the Organ Donor Register.
• More than 7,500 people are waiting for an organ to save their lives, and three people die every day while they wait.
• Every year 1,000 people die while waiting for an organ transplant and many others die before they even get on to the transplant waiting list.
• The generosity of donors and their families enables over 3,000 people in the UK every year to take on a new lease of life.
• Any person of any age, race or gender can donate an organ. Having a medical condition does not necessarily prevent a person from becoming an organ or tissue donor.
• The most common organ donated by a living person is a kidney, as a healthy person can lead a completely normal life with only one functioning kidney
• You can specifically state which organ(s) you would like to donate
By signing up to the Organ Donation Register you give someone the chance to have a new lease of life. Registering can easily be done online at www.organdonation.nhs.uk
N.B: This is not me telling you that you have to register for organ donation, I can understand that some people are uncomfortable with organ donation and that is perfectly understandable. There are always other ways to help, for example donating blood. 96% of us rely on the other 4% to give blood. Please don’t leave it to someone else. If you are relatively healthy, aged 17 and over it is very easy and safe to donate blood. Go to www.blood.co.uk for more information.