Friday, 9 March 2012

A thing of beauty is a joy forever



"My dearest Girl,This moment I have set myself to copy some verses out fair.  I cannot proceed with any degree of content.  I must write you a line or two and see if that will assist in dismissing you from my Mind for ever so short a time.  Upon my Soul I can think of nothing else - The time is passed when I had power to advise and warn you again[s]t the unpromising morning of my Life - My love has made me selfish.  I cannot exist without you - I am forgetful of every thing but seeing you again - my Life seems to stop there - I see no further.  You have absorb'd me. I have a sensation at the present moment as though I was dissolving - I should be exquisitely miserable without the hope of soon seeing you.  I should be afraid to separate myself far from you.  My sweet Fanny, will your heart never change?  My love, will it?  I have no limit now to my love - You note came in just here - I cannot be happier away from you - 'T is richer than an Argosy of Pearles.  Do not threat me even in jest. I have been astonished that Men could die Martyrs for religion - I have shudder'd at it - I shudder no more - I could be martyr'd for my Religion - Love is my religion - I could die for that - I could die for you.  My Creed is Love and you are its only tenet - You have ravish'd me away by a Power I cannot resist: and yet I could resist till I saw you; and even since I have seen you I have endeavoured often "to reason against the reasons of my Love."  I can do that no more - the pain would be too great - My Love is selfish - I cannot breathe without you. Yours for everJohn Keats"


Some of you may know that I study English Literature as part of my joint honors degree.  At the moment I've had an 8 month break from being at my home university and studying literature.  Being on my year abroad in France means that I haven't been doing any work for my English degree, when I go back to university in September I will be a 3rd year English Literature student and a 4th year French student.  All I've been focusing on here is French and enjoying my time in France and not having worry about needing to attend literature seminars and lectures has given me a good break from studying for English Lit.  When you study literature for your degree it's hard to remember why you wanted to do it in the first place.  It tends to suck the joy out of reading and just simply enjoying the beautiful writing.  Reading becomes a chore.  

But recently I've been rediscovering some of my favorite books and writers, namely John Keats and his letters to Fanny Brawne as well as his poetry.  The letters especially are very touching, I got this book after watching Bright Star which was such a beautiful and soul crushing film.  The letters are wonderful and very haunting.  If you want to start reading into the 'great romantics' Keats would be my first suggestion, especially this book.  I can't put into words how heartbreakingly beautiful his letters to her are.  Theirs was a true love story.

"But I being poor, have only my dreams. I lay them at your feet...Tread softly; for you tread on my dreams."

2 comments

  1. good post, i havnt been near keats for years,

    ReplyDelete
  2. it's awesome that you got to spend time in France!! great post :)

    x

    ReplyDelete

All your comments are very much appreciated! If you have any questions either leave them with your comments or get in touch with me here: ninanenor@gmail.com @the_littlenomad

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
| the little nomad |. All rights reserved. © Maira Gall.