Tuesday, 3 July 2012

Du bist so wunderbar, Berlin

Berlin is the capital city of Germany and with a population of 3.5 million it is the biggest city in Germany.  Berlin was the capital of the Kingdom of Prussia (1701–1918), the German Empire (1871–1918), the Weimar Republic (1919–1933) and the Third Reich (1933–1945).  After World War II, the city became divided into East Berlin—the capital of East Germany—and West Berlin, a West German exclave surrounded by the Berlin Wall which stood from 1961 to 1989. On 3 October 1990, the two parts of Germany were reunified as the Federal Republic of Germany, and Berlin again became the official German capital.

So I've come back from my 4 and a half day visit to Berlin with over 500 photos.  I thought in this post I'd share some 'general' photos from the whole trip before doing some more 'place specific' posts.  But it's nearly impossible for me to narrow it down to about 25 pictures per post.  There are so many things I want to share with you.

Berlin absolutely blew me away. It truly is an amazing and unique city in every sense.  I'm completely serious when I say that I can imagine myself living there, and it's something I'm going to work towards.  Berlin has an amazing energy and whilst compared with other European cities like Paris or Prague, Berlin isn't 'beautiful' in the stereotypical sense.  It blew my mind that the Berlin Wall fell only 3 years before my birth (my mum was convinced that the wall would never fall), and that Berlin is still recovering from this.  You can still sense the divide of Berlin simply because of the architecture and how different the different parts of the city feel.  A few buildings in both East an West have not been rebuilt completely and so they still have the marks from bomb attacks and bullet holes in them (including parts of the German Bundestag).  Berlin embraces its history and there are countless information points for visitors.  The capital has such a rich and interesting history.  


I hope you enjoy these photos, I'll be posting lots more soon.


Only 9 days until I go back to the UK for the first time in over a year!


More soon
x
Nina

5 comments

  1. I have been in Berlin couple of times ! i love this place ! Can't wait to come back there again!
    Urszula

    ReplyDelete
  2. lovely pictures! looks like you had a fab time :) x

    fashioninflux.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd love to visit Berlin the history fascinates me especially as it's so recent! I'm glad you had a lovely time xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the photos! I loved Berlin so much when I went a couple of years ago, so much better than Paris I thought & I love France. I know, I can't believe that the fall of the wall was so recent, the year I was born! x

    ReplyDelete
  5. These pictures are seriously giving me the travel itch. So beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete

All your comments are very much appreciated! If you have any questions either leave them with your comments or get in touch with me here: ninanenor@gmail.com @the_littlenomad

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
| the little nomad |. All rights reserved. © Maira Gall.