Saturday, 18 August 2012

Cultural Saturday

 La Parisienne by Renoir
 Catherine of Aragon 
 Van Gogh

Saturdays in Cardiff can be hectic at best but recently there's been a massive influx in hen and stag parties that flood in to Cardiff for the weekend (probably because of the insane amount of summer weddings).  The 'hens' (a bachelorette party for my Americans) are running around with pink feather boas and plastic inflatable penises (I couldn't make this stuff up if I tried).  The rowdy 'stags' (the bachelor party) can usually be found in packs outside Wetherspoons in morph suits.  I don't mind the odd stag and hen groups but when you see about 10 groups of each with their flashing pink head gear and 'creative' fancy dress I just can't hack it. So I decided to escape to the one place where I knew I wouldn't come across them: Cardiff Museum.

For those who have avidly watched the BBC version of Sherlock, you might recognise the museum.  They filmed some scenes there for the second episode of season 1 (The Blind Banker).  Museums in Wales are all free entry so it's great to while a day away there.  They have a really great collection of art: Renoir, Van Gogh, Monet, Roudin and Cézanne amongst others.  My all time favorite painting is La Pariesienne by Renoir, it's great to be able to go in for free and see such an amazing piece of art!  My housemate and I used to go a lot in second year but since my year abroad they have a brand new Contemporary Art gallery which I really love even though modern art can be pretty inaccessible for me personally.  I felt like a bit of a loser going to an art museum by myself but it's good to take some time out and do something cultural.

I have a job interview on Friday so please keep your fingers crossed for me, I really need some luck!

More soon
x
Nina



3 comments

  1. i do love museums, this one looks very interesting <3
    http://coeursdefoxes.blogspot.com/
    http://www.facebook.com/CoeursDeFoxes

    ReplyDelete
  2. you have such a cute blog!

    xo Camilla

    Into The Fold

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha, I love your description of hen and stag parties. I remember on one of my first European weekend getaways (from Glasgow to Prague) there was a Scottish stag party and a Welsh stag party singing insulting songs to each other at the baggage carousels at the airport, and later we ran into both of them in the Irish pub in Prague and they got into a fight! Hehe.

    Anyway, I'll have to make it to this museum one day, it does look like fun. :)

    ReplyDelete

All your comments are very much appreciated! If you have any questions either leave them with your comments or get in touch with me here: ninanenor@gmail.com @the_littlenomad

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
| the little nomad |. All rights reserved. © Maira Gall.