Friday, 25 January 2013

The ghosts that we knew will flicker from view


I'm not sure what possessed my housemate and me to catch the train to Caerphilly to see the local castle.  The BBC weather had informed us that it would rain slightly, but the minute we stepped off the train the snow was nonstop.  I didn't want to be one of those people that keeps posting snow photos but it seems I am.  As a tiny German lady who has spent more than half her life in the Middle East, I've been struggling with the bitter cold.  But there you go, at least it made for a pretty magical setting.

Caerphilly Castle is the second largest castle after Windsor Castle, built in the 13th century and reconstructed from 1776 onwards by the Marquesses of Bute who also owned Cardiff Castle. We braved the snow and it really was worth it.  The castle is stunning and it felt like a fairytale (seems to be a recurring theme in my life at the moment).  Clearly everyone else was sane enough to stay wrapped up warm at home because we had the castle all to ourselves.  It's well worth a visit if you're ever in this part of the world.

I'm heading back to university on Monday. DREAD.  Trying to make the most of my days off but they seem to be filled with work (of the 'I need money to eat and wear nice things' variety).  How has January been treating you guys?

More soon
x
Nina


9 comments

  1. these photos are really stunning! i would really love to visit an old giant castle like this. random adventures with friends are always lots of fun. and there is no problem with posting lots of snow photos :) the snow is so beautiful! you look really cute in these photos as well.

    http://www.lovefromberlin.net/
    xx rae

    ReplyDelete
  2. GORGEOUS photos. January is whipping me hard and it's been FREEZING here in Germany. GET ME TO ITALY WITH SOME SUNSHINE PLEASE.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think a visit to a castle is a valid daytrip! I totally have a thing for castles, since we basically don't have any over here. Everything look extra gorgeous in the snow (those poor ducks though!).

    ReplyDelete
  4. The poor ducks must be so cold! I love these shots. They're so gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so jealous of all the snow! I've never experienced snow myself so this is just tenfold amazing for me. It's also probably a good thing that you went on such a cold day as I'm sure you got a different perspcetive of the castle as most people would have.

    ReplyDelete
  6. All these years I've lived in Wales and I've never visited! I need to go there! Love your coat by the way

    Please come and check out my latest post if you have a few minutes spare :)

    www.fragile-bird.blogspot.co.uk

    Helen

    X

    ReplyDelete
  7. You always have the most incredible pics of your trips - I've never been to Wales which is shameful as I have a friend out there I really need to visit!

    Just to let you know that I nominated you for a blog award:

    http://angel-in-this-dress.blogspot.co.uk/2013/01/liebster-blog-award.html

    Love your blog x x

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow such a winter wonderland of a place. beautiful pics- as much as I'm loving the sunny days in california right now, the snow looks gorgeous too:)
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. OMG! You have an amazing blog.Honestly, I love it. If you have a minute, please visit my blog too.
    Maybe follow??

    love,
    Alicia

    leeshionable.blogspot.de

    ReplyDelete

All your comments are very much appreciated! If you have any questions either leave them with your comments or get in touch with me here: ninanenor@gmail.com @the_littlenomad

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
| the little nomad |. All rights reserved. © Maira Gall.