Tuesday, 9 April 2013

Bait Al Zubair


The trip to the Bait Al Zubair museum in the old town of Muscat was motivated through guilt.  My mountain of university work has been left essentially untouched.  My excuse for this is that I'm not coming back to Oman until December so I might as well make the most out of my time here.  Right? So because I've not being doing anything that really comes close to educational work, an educational trip to the museum was overdue.

Bait Al Zubair was the museum we were always dragged to when my friends and I were in Primary school.  This is a private museum funded and founded by the Zubair family, a very old and prestigious Omani family.  It's had quite a big makeover since I last came here (probably about 10 years ago or so).  The garden around the museum is fantastic, there's even a model of a mountain village on display.  There's a lot of attention to detail.  I also enjoyed the painted Onyxes - they reminded me of the Berlin Bears you can see scattered around the German capital.  The museum itself is quite small but the pieces on show are carefully collected and displayed.  There are also stunning photographs all around that museum that a member of the Zubair family took on his explorations of Oman.  I find Omani culture very fascinating, Oman is a pretty big country with a rich heritage.  

If you're ever in Muscat this is well worth a visit, it also helps that this museum is a just a few minutes away from the Royal Palace so it's killing two birds with one stone.

I'll miss this place when I leave.  Sadface.

More soon
x




5 comments

  1. wow likes like a great trip! very cultured

    ordaining serendipity

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your blog has given me a serious case of wanderlust! Beautifully photographed and written :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. awesome pictures! looks interesting! i like ur shirt x
    http://thefrillseekers.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. the jewelry in the museum is everything! Gorg scenery!

    jemappelleshen.wordpress.com

    online fashion boutique:
    etsy.com/shop/OfTheTraveling

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous Photos, dear. Looks like an incredible place to visit.
    BTW, cute polka dot blouse :)

    xx, Jackie
    http://wussinboots.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete

All your comments are very much appreciated! If you have any questions either leave them with your comments or get in touch with me here: ninanenor@gmail.com @the_littlenomad

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
| the little nomad |. All rights reserved. © Maira Gall.