Wednesday, 8 May 2013

On self-acceptance


Today before I left the house I decided to forgo must of my usual beauty treatments that I talk myself into needing on my face.  I slapped some tinted moisturiser on, mascara, and liquid eyeliner and was out the house in ten minutes.

Self-acceptance and I haven’t always been on great terms.  I can chalk it up to several teenage issues, but after a while when not being able to accept yourself turns into self-hatred you have a problem.  Self hatred is not good for the soul.

A while back I decided I’d had enough of throwing myself a never ending pity party, but that doesn’t mean I’ve come to terms with myself.  Until now.  Today I looked in the mirror and finally thought: “you know what, you aren’t as bad as you make yourself out to be”.

Yes I have flaws: I bite my nails, I’m a serial midnight snacker, I talk too much, my thighs most certainly touch and wobble and I have this compulsive need to be liked by everyone.  There are a lot of things about myself I don’t like but I’m starting to realise there are a lot more things about me that I like and it’s time to start focusing on those.  Despite this being one of the most stressful times of my life (exams, supposed graduation if I pass said exams etc) this is the happiest I have ever been for as long as I can remember and finally being happy with myself is probably the main cause.

This is not a post telling to stop using make up, and embrace ‘au naturel’.  This is a post telling you to take some time to learn to love yourself.  One of the life lessons I’ve learnt is that if you don’t love yourself who will? Self-acceptance is freeing and with it comes a great sense of independence.  Yes we do need love and other people to make us happy, but you should also be able to make yourself happy.  If you are good to yourself, life will be good to you.


13 comments

  1. you are a darn good writer, and I couldn't agree more! I'm sixteen, and this message (at the end of a pretty rubbish secondary school experience!) is finally kicking in- hoorah! great post x

    (nail biters unite!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this post :)! It's so good that you feel that way about yourself now. Also... if I looked like you with so little makeup I'd be making the most of it haha xx

    D Is For...

    ReplyDelete
  3. lovely post and well written - honest and thought provoking. x

    iampolkadots.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are the sorts of things I need to be telling myself at the mo! :( Lovely to read you're feeling more positive. x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well said!
    Thought provoking and wise. Definitely inspired by this post :) xx

    wildlittlerose.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  6. There's a lot about this post I can empathise with - especially the being liked thing, it's so annoying to give a shit when you don't want to haha! I think you are beautiful au naturele, I guess we all have stuff we don't like and it's more important to focus on the good bits :) ♥ Claire at Jazzpad

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely blog you have. Isn't Twitter great for finding new bloggers? I'm from Carmarthen so have a fondness for Cardiff. My sister lives there now, quite jealous.

    You have yourself a new follower lovely.

    Jen | sunny sweet pea xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Plus I fricking love your mug!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. firstly fab mug! it's kinda retro now i guess haha. Gorgeous post too, it's hard to except little flaws in life, but we are who we are. God don't make two of us! (unless ur a twin..err) but will not be so hard on myself :)
    http://kimiandme.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  10. Learning to focus on the things that you love about yourself is quite a bold step and one in the right direction, even if at times your steps may falter. Cheers to this very thoughtful and honest post!

    www.ziba-blog.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I REALLY WANT A KATE AND WILL MUG OH MY GOODNESS!

    ReplyDelete
  12. 'IF you don't love yourself who will?' This is so true! Self-acceptance can be a hard thing but I think it's one of those necessary things in life that everyone should go through! Well said!
    Saadiya x

    www.thatgirlsaadiya.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is one of my favourite posts of yours Nina ( I read through a lot...not stalking, honest!) and the other day I was feeling down in the dumps about myself and remembered this. It definitely put things back in perspective again. You're like having a friend in a changing room with me.
    Flora
    www.twowithseven.blogspot.co.uk
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete

All your comments are very much appreciated! If you have any questions either leave them with your comments or get in touch with me here: ninanenor@gmail.com @the_littlenomad

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
| the little nomad |. All rights reserved. © Maira Gall.