Saturday, 15 June 2013

Currently reading: Emma

“I always deserve the best treatment because I never put up with any other.” 
If you're not a fan of Austen in one form or another I'm not sure we can be friends, Austen has been somewhat of a rock to me, I love the historical context and I'm also fascinated with Jane's personal life.  But considering how much of a book worm I was growing up (I was that kid that was super geeky and slept with a book under her pillow...) I was introduced to Jane Austen rather late.  It wasn't until I started boarding school and had to read Pride & Prejudice for my coursework that I began to appreciate her.  I always felt I was more of a Charlotte Bronte girl at heart.  But Miss Austen has changed that entirely for me.

Emma was published in 1815, Austen's fourth novel after Sense and Sensibility, Pride & Prejudice and Mansfield Park.  Emma deals with the titular character of Emma Woodhouse, a beautiful and spoilt girl who thinks of herself as a bit of a matchmaker having introduced her best friend and former governess to her future husband.  Emma takes credit for their marriage and more matchmaking attempts ensue and as does the drama. 

I've seen the BBC TV serial adaptation with the gorgeous Romola Garai and of course the 90's classic Clueless, so the plot is pretty familiar to me but there's something lovely about being able to dive in deeper when reading the novel.  Emma is a hard character to like at times but I think that's what makes the novel more enjoyable.  She's a funny character that is keeping me entertained whilst delayed April weather is raging outside my Cardiff window.

Do you guys have any favourite Jane Austen books or characters? So far I can really recommend Emma to all of you.

More soon!
x


7 comments

  1. I have that book in my bookshelf but I still haven´t read it.. I´ll have to start reding it soon! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the mental image you pulled up with "delayed April weather is raging outside my Cardiff window" - makes me want to curl up on my sofa. I've never read Emma, but of course I've seen Clueless. I had no idea the two were connected in any way. I'll add this to my reading list, it sounds interesting :) x

    ReplyDelete
  3. i've always wanted to read this book, and i was exactly the same growing up!

    nationofdaydream

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a shame that I've never read that classic!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The only Austen books I've read are Pride and Prejudice, Emma, and Persuasion, in order of how much I liked them. I found Emma okay, but I hated Persuasion - it actually took me over a year of intermittent reading to finally finish it, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am a massive massive Jane Austen fan. I've read all of her books, and it's so hard to pick a favourite. It's probably a tie between Pride & Prejudice and Emma. Also, the BBC adaptation of Pride & Prejudice (starring Colin Firth) is a must see. I've re-watched it so many times!

    I just think it's such a shame that Jane Austen herself never ended up with her happily ever after Prince Charming, after having written so many beautiful love stories.

    Lucy x The New Northerner

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love Jane Austen, however like you I am a huge bookworm but I didn't come to read any Austen books till I was about 18. It was a struggle at first more due to getting used to reading in the olde worlde language but I fell in love with her books. I love pride & prejudice so much.

    P.s came across your blog on twitter! Love it

    ReplyDelete

All your comments are very much appreciated! If you have any questions either leave them with your comments or get in touch with me here: ninanenor@gmail.com @the_littlenomad

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
| the little nomad |. All rights reserved. © Maira Gall.