Thursday, 25 July 2013

Dyffryn Gardens


My family came over from Germany to see me graduate which meant the world to me.  We don't get to see each other much now, they live in the Middle East with my younger brother and I only saw them during term time holidays.  Now that I'm freshly graduated our time spent together is much more precious because I won't get so much time with them once I find a 'real' job.

So in a bid to make the most of our time together, and the lovely weather, we headed out to the little Welsh village of St. Nicolas to visit Dyffryn House and Gardens.  Having lived in the Middle East for 17 years my mother has been starved of lush green gardens that don't include palm trees.  Through the National Trust there is a wealth of gardens in the UK that my mum would love to see, as it turns out Dyffryn is a grade I listed garden and it's easy to see why.  According to the official website Dyffryn is:
an exceptional example of Edwardian garden design, covering more than 55 acres featuring a stunning collection of intimate garden rooms, formal lawns and seasonal bedding. There is also a statuary collection, and an arboretum featuring trees from all over the world.
The part that impressed me the most was Dyffryn House.  Maybe it's all the trashy regency novels I've been reading recently (I'm a graduate, I'm allowed!) but I just felt as if I'd stepped into Jane Austen or Georgette Heyer's world.  Wishful thinking I know.  The ceilings on the ground floor were beautifully painted and the National Trust staff had laid our beanbags so you could lie down on them and look at the painting, it was just breathtaking.  Sadly the family who owned the house didn't actually spend much time there at all but preferred to stay in London.  If I had the choice between this house and London I know which one I'd choose in a heartbeat.  You can't beat a beautiful house in the countryside in my book.

If you're ever in this part of the world I can't recommend Dyffryn enough for a visit, it's quintessentially British and a perfect place to while away a summer day (here's hoping we get a few more of those!).

More soon
x


6 comments

  1. I did not realise it was so beautiful there. My sister works for the National Trust and is based partly at Dyffryn Gardens. You've just made me incredibly jealous of her job. And long to live back home in Wales again :(

    Jenny | sunny sweet pea xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I knew that you could have listed houses, but I'd never heard of gardens being listed before. It really is beautiful! I love visiting National Trust houses and pretending that I'm part of a Jane Austen novel :)

    Lucy x The New Northerner

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, those gardens look absolutely gorgeous! I'd really love to visit someday, it seems completely different to the greenery that I'm used to here in Australia.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This place is so lovely! I espescially love the house (I'd live there too). This looks like a lovely way to spend time with your family

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is beautiful - I love to visit places like this too! I've been reading those kind of novels as well and it's so good to visit and pretend you've time travelled. What I would give to travel back in time and be a fly in the wall to have watched the real version...Oh man!!
    Congratulations on your graduation Nina, I bet it was such a treat to have your family there. How well-traveled they all are!!

    Ps the photograph of the stained glass window is my favourite. It's stunning.

    Flora
    www.twowithseven.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  6. These photos are so beautiful! I'll have to visit one day x

    ReplyDelete

All your comments are very much appreciated! If you have any questions either leave them with your comments or get in touch with me here: ninanenor@gmail.com @the_littlenomad

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
| the little nomad |. All rights reserved. © Maira Gall.