Monday, 22 July 2013

The Potted Pig


If there's anything you should know about me it's that I love food and gin.  Combine the town and you've got a winner.  Last Wednesday my parents treated my boyfriend, best friend and myself to a meal at The Potted Pig in order to celebrate my graduation from Cardiff University.

The Potted Pig is hidden away on Cardiff's High Street.  You climb down into the basement and find yourself in an old bank vault.  You wouldn't think it would be cosy but the atmosphere was great and with the heatwave in full swing it was the best place to be.  The Potted Pig draws it's inspiration from British cuisine but there are also French and New York grill inspired influences.  They change the menu depending on what's seasonal which is something I'm a big fan of.  To top it all off they have a THREE paged drink menu just featuring gin.  Pure heaven.  People write gin off as dull and something old people drink, but the waiter explained to us how different tonics bring out different flavours of the gin.  Turns out I'm a massive fan of anything with cucumber or elderflower.  Gin also worked perfectly with my chosen main course: pork belly with squash puree, crispy and pickled beetroot, mini sausage and spring greens.  For dessert I went for Eton Mess.  HEAVEN I tell you.  It was hands down, one of the best meals of my life.  

Those of you with beady eyes will have spied that for a bargain of £300 you can order a whole roasted suckling pig (plus potatoes and carrots).  A massive group of people on the table next to us had ordered one and it was impressive let me tell you.  My parents who have been living in the Middle East since 1995 don't frequently encounter pork so they were very impressed and a little envious I think.

I cannot recommend The Potted Pig enough, you can book online which I would really encourage you to do as it gets extremely busy and you wouldn't want to miss out.


5 comments

  1. This place sounds so cool, I've made a mental note to go there next time I go for food in Cardiff. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. that place is pure paradise! floral gins *swoon*

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahah I love your love of gin! I would definitely get a whole roasted suckling pig and pretend I'm at a medieval feast. Sounds like you had a ncie time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Waaaaa nina, I think I may have found my online-soulmate in you. My favourite meat is pork and my favourite alcoholic drinks (aside from red wine) is gin. My heart might burst with all this serendipity!!!

    Flora xx

    ReplyDelete

All your comments are very much appreciated! If you have any questions either leave them with your comments or get in touch with me here: ninanenor@gmail.com @the_littlenomad

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
| the little nomad |. All rights reserved. © Maira Gall.