Friday, 16 August 2013

I'll say what this means to me, I'll do what I can, Impossible Germany

Deutschland Deutschland! How beautiful you are and how good it is the be back.  As I mentioned in a previous post my Canadian Godmother is visiting us so we are taking her around the usual tourist sights which include several churches and the town's beautiful library.  Our town isn't very beautiful as it was very badly destroyed in a bombing that occurred three months before the end of the Second World War.  90% of the town was destroyed and architecturally it's never recovered.  I am always in awe of the parts of the town that have lovingly been restored.  The resilience of the German people after the war really is inspiring.  

We of course had to treat our guest to the real German experience, which meant being overwhelmed in one of Würzburg's oldest family run cafés (est. 1911) where the choice of cakes, sandwiches and strudel are enough to send even the most stoic person into a frenzy.  My mother used to go to this café when she skipped school as a little girl. A lot of the decor is from the 20's and you can sit down to enjoy the atmosphere with a generous slice of strudel and a wonderfully tacky gossip magazine that keeps you up to date with all the royal pregnancies in Europe.  What more could you want?  Those of you in the area, a visit is highly recommended: Caféhaus Michel, Marktplatz 11, 97070 Würzburg.

Being in Germany does give me a little fuzzy feeling, despite the fact that my German is very rusty and I often make mistakes (I speak German the way I would English which means my sentence structures are way off) but Germany is my home and my heritage.  I like out little town, how colourful and lively it is and how it does give me a sense of calm and pride.  I've already decided that if I ever get married to a non German I'm keeping my German surname. Being German is very important to me.  I really hope that my German posts over the next couple of days will make you consider taking a little trip to Germany sometime.  Leave your stereotyping and preconceptions at home, you will have an amazing time here!

 
 

10 comments

  1. Great pictures, Nina. All those flowers and watermelons, so colorful ahah love it, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These photos are beautiful! I lived in Bayreuth for a while and though I always wanted to visit Würzburg I never managed to get round to it. I'm really longing to go back to Germany now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah! Loved this post. I'd like to consider myself UK born and adopted by the Germans! I visit Berlin a lot. However your town looks simply beautiful! Glad to have stumbled upon your blog post xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I adore Germany, we went for Christmas last year and it was amazing. I seriously think I could live there but I speak zero German! I can just about say my name is..

    http://golddustk.blogspot.co.uk/

    x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your town looks super lovely! I would love an apple strudle right now, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Eeee, you're from Würzburg?! How lovely. I used to live in Regensburg and love that part of the world. I recently found your blog and love it -- also a recent graduate (of German) and appreciate the Deutsch slant of your posts :) It's so true what you say..Germany is so overrated as a destination for holidays, but it's so lovely!
    P.s. the pictures of the flowers are gorgeous. so vibrant!

    http://frauleinlouise.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love Germany so much! I am learning the language and hope to live there in the future. Great post, Germany really is beautiful! Hopefully one day I will be adopted into Germany! :)
    www.theemeralddove21.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  8. theres no place like home, right? i sometimes forget how beautiful germany really is and how much i should cherish the city i'm from. i love in berlin and its just the most amazing city on this planet and i could really eat some apfelstrudel now. haha.
    xx

    dornroeeschen.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. oooh it looks so beautiful! Germany is high on my list of places to go.

    ReplyDelete

All your comments are very much appreciated! If you have any questions either leave them with your comments or get in touch with me here: ninanenor@gmail.com @the_littlenomad

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
| the little nomad |. All rights reserved. © Maira Gall.