Thursday, 8 August 2013

“The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid.” - Jane Austen


I'm not even sorry for sharing so many pictures of Bath with you guys.  It is without a doubt one of my favourite cities.  I first visited it with my Mum two years ago in March and instantly fell in love.  My boyfriend had a day off and Bath is only just over an hour away from Cardiff so we country hopped over to England (I love that we can do this so easily here in Europe) and took a little day trip.

I think part of my love for Bath stems from Jane Austen and my interest in the Regency Era. Jane Austen spent some time in Bath between 1801 and 1806, and two of my favourite books of hers are in part set in Bath: Northanger Abbey and my all time favourite Persuasion.  Bath milks it's connection to Jane Austen a little, she didn't spend that much time in Bath but the connection is still there nonetheless.  I went to visit the Jane Austen Centre before and loved it, but I didn't think that I could put my poor boyfriend through and hour talk on Jane Austen and the Regency Era this time.  Instead I dragged him up to The Circus and The Crescent to look at pretty houses whilst wishing that I had a spare £1.5 million lying around so I could buy myself a townhouse with my own Captain Wentworth or Mr Tilney.

There are some amazing bookshops in Bath, it's something I feel we lack in Cardiff.  We don't have any independent bookshops in the town centre which saddens me.  I refuse to carry on buying books on Amazon, and seeing the same Waterstones and WHsmith makes me a little sad.  I could have spent all day getting lost amongst the bookshelves.  Topping & Company Booksellers offer complimentary coffee whilst your browse and their books are all kept in plastic covers so you get perfect copies.   Mr B's Emporium of Reading Delights is glorious.  The booksellers are eager to chat and offer their advice, the record player is constantly on and they have a wall paper with the pages from Tintin books (loved them growing up).  Having a Kindle doesn't stop me buying books, there's something really satisfying about a fully stocked bookcase.

I'm making sure that I book some time off to go to Bath for the Jane Austen Festival in September (anyone fancy joining?).  Already wishing I was back!  Tonight will be spent curled up to Northanger Abbey on my TV and a good cup of tea.  Oh so British!

More soon
x

4 comments

  1. I love Bath, I really need to visit soon. I love the buildings and shops it's somewhere I would love to live. your outfit is so cute! I'm hoping to go to the Cardiff Picnic but unsure now because it falls on a bank hol. It would so great to meet you. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great pictures! I love that Tilney button - I am currently reading Northanger! Never knew about the Jane Austen festival but I am now adamant to go! Loved this post! :)
    www.theemeralddove21.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sure it was that same guy who greeted me back in December when I went The Jane Austen Centre. Very enthusiastic and great mutton chops!

    Lucy x The New Northerner

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bath looks amazing! I'm definitely going to check it out when I visit the UK later this year. I notice that you're wearing your cute painful sandals with socks this time round, haha.

    ReplyDelete

All your comments are very much appreciated! If you have any questions either leave them with your comments or get in touch with me here: ninanenor@gmail.com @the_littlenomad

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
| the little nomad |. All rights reserved. © Maira Gall.