Wednesday, 4 September 2013

I've come to know that memories, were the best things you ever had


I have always declared my love of airports and flying.  Airports of late have become more areas of frustrated amusement.  I recently travelled through Heathrow and Frankfurt and every single time I'm at an airport I remember that airports are such interesting microcosms of our world.  No place frustrates me as much as airports, but at the same time I can't help but be intrigued.  From the man in front of me who, despite constant reminders to empty your pockets of change, beeps when going through the scanner and then begins to pull out £10 worth of change out of said pockets, to the family travelling with young children who sit on tiny suitcases that their suffering parents drag along behind them.  Airports constantly give me something to observe.

Airports and flying used to make me miserable but now that I'm older (and hopefully wiser) I feel a stronger sense of peace and purpose.  I travel less frequently now that I'm settled in my postgraduate life but whenever I am on a plane I feel a great sense of relief at leaving the country.  There's nothing that quite beats the excited butterflies when your plane pulls through cotton candy clouds and begins it's decent into a new airport, a new country where people speak a different language and believe in different things.  Even just the difference between Heathrow and Frankfurt is enough to make my head spin, and they are on the same continent.  From driving on different sides of the road, the sense of humour and customs (queuing being the best example).  Our differences set us apart but also teach us new things about ourselves and that is one of the most important aspects of travel.  If you leave a country as the same person who walked through customs in arrivals you've done something wrong. 

My next flight will be my last flight to Oman in December.  My parents are moving and there is no going back to Oman for us.  It gives me a heavy heart knowing that this is the end of my Oman adventure, a place that has held my heart ever since I was five.  But I am grateful for all the wonderful memories and lessons I have learnt.  Christmas will be a time to say goodbye but also a time to look to the future and see what new airport will peak at me through the clouds.



9 comments

  1. Great post - really nicely written. I have only travelled by plane once but I would love to travel more! Nice pictures too! :)
    www.theemeralddove21.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your blogs so enjoyable to read! Glad I found it!
    http://ellenaeva.blogspot.co.uk/ xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a lovely post! I love people watching in airports! xo

    http://prettypetticoats.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE flying too! Pretty pictures!
    http://golddustk.blogspot.co.uk/
    x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful photos, makes me want to go travelling x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great photos. I love flying, and travelling in general. There's something really relaxing about journeys, I think it's the fact that the time is productive no matter what you do, so you can do whatever you want (even sleep) and feel good about it...

    Liz xx

    Distract Me Now Please

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous photos! And great choice of music, Ben Howard is a god ;)
    I weirdly quite like airports too - you're right, there's something quite unique and fascinating about them!

    Helen at "Hels Yeah" xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. haha great post! Airports are horrible yet intriguing

    ordaining serendipity

    ReplyDelete

All your comments are very much appreciated! If you have any questions either leave them with your comments or get in touch with me here: ninanenor@gmail.com @the_littlenomad

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
| the little nomad |. All rights reserved. © Maira Gall.