Monday, 25 November 2013

My skin care routine

As I've said recently I've become a bit of a skin care junkie.  I've always been pretty lucky with my skin, but I've heard that your early 20's is when you should seriously starting taking care of your skin.  Up until a while ago I was a 'make up wipe and hot water' kind of girl.  Now I have a few products that I like a lot and I'm trying to make a conscious effort to take care of my skin.  I don't use the following products all the time, I like to mix things up a bit but these are my staple products.

Lush Angels On Bare Skin
Angles on Bare Skin | Lush | £6.25 | Online
On the tub it says 'cleanser' but I'd find this too harsh to use as such.  You take a pea sized amount and slowly add water to it, turning it into a paste and then you apply to your face.  The reason why it might be harsh on your skin and why I use this an an exfoliator rather than a cleanser is because it has almonds in it so it gets rid of that dry skin in an instant.  I really love this product and love using it before I go to sleep, it has lavender in it which is really calming before bed.  I got told not to use this too often during the week because it can be quite drying.  I use this about three times a week depending on how bad my skin is.  This is a true winter saviour! 


Aveda Skin Care
Exfoliator and Face Mask as part of a set | Aveda | Gift | Online
Aveda is a brand that I really appreciate.  Their packaging is 100% recyclable, they're the first beauty company to manufacture with 100% wind energy and they use organic ingredients.   These products feel so luxurious and smell gorgeous, like fresh ginger which is a smell that reminds me of Oman.  The exfoliator is great and gently removes all the dead skin from my face without being painful.  I particularly love the radiance masque.  It tingles a little on my skin but leaves my face feeling refreshed and so soft.  It's a great product to use on a Sunday night when you're pampering yourself and getting ready for the new week ahead of you.  These came as part of a taster set, the products are a really good size considering they are sample sizes!  The little booklet that came with the set also recommends going to a spa at least once a month but that's not really in my current budget.  One day...

I was gifted this set (the box has two more products in it) but it retails at £30 which I think is a very good price.  These are tester sizes but they will last you a long time.  The full sized products are also reasonable charged considering that they are in the high end skin care range.  But personally I think that skin care products in the one place you shouldn't save money on.  If it's going on your skin you should be using clean and good products.  They do other amazing sounding starter sets depending on your skin type for as little as £16 on their website so it might be worth a look.


Natio Cleanser
Facial Foam Cleanser | Natio | Sample from Birchbox | Online 
This was a sample from a Birchbox I was given at the Cardiff Blogger Meetup.  I really like this product, NATIO is an Australian brand and I was super happy to stumble upon the Natio section in Debenhams.  It's a really gentle cleanser and takes the rest of my makeup off without drying my skin.  It feels soothing and foams up really nicely.  I love anything with pomegranate in it and the smell is gorgeous.  This is part of the Aromatherapy range which sells it to me even more.  I love good quality, natural products. Once this sample runs out I'm repurchasing it straight away, this is a sure fire winner for me. 


Benefit Total Moisture Facial Cream
Total Moisture Facial Cream | Benefit | Free sample size | Online
I wasn't sure how to approach the Benefit skin care range, but I've been a massive Benefit fan from the day I started using make up  so I did actually have quite high expectations.  I've recently used up all of this sample and I am gutted. I am glad I received a sample of this because sometimes you can never be sure how your skin is going to react to something new in your routine and when I'm spending +£20 on something I want it to work properly!  This is a lovely slightly thicker face cream that sinks into your skin straight away and leaves your skin feeling super soft and hydrated.  This was one I used on more 'emergency' skin kind of days.  A little goes a long way so I'm considering buying the full size version because it would really last me a long time.  The packaging is also beautiful and you can reuse this pot afterwards.  

Bioderma Sebium
Sébium H2O for mixed or oily skin | Bioderma | £9.99 | Online
I wasn't aware of how hyped this product was on the blogsphere at all.  I received this as a sample size in the Birchbox and loved it the minute I used it.  This takes off every single bit of makeup very gently. I don't have to use more than one cotton pad per eye (I wear a LOT of eyeliner) and it makes light work of my mascara and eye makeup.  I wish I'd known about this brand when I was in France, I would have stocked up on it and hoarded, but as it turns out my local pharmacy sells this so I'm a happy bunny.  This cleanser is for mixed/oily skin and it does have the potential to be very drying but this in combination with either my Benefit moisturiser or my Kiehl's one is a dream combination.  I like easy and fuss free skin care and this ticks every box.  I bought this 250ml in August and I am only just running out of it, so it just goes to show that a little goes a long way.  

Kiehl's Calming Facial Cleanser
Centella Skin Calming Facial Cleanser | Kiehl's | £26.50 | Online
This is the most expensive skin care product I have ever bought and it was the trigger for my skin care obsession.  In hindsight £27 for some moisturiser is probably beyond extravagant but when it comes to my skin I prefer quality over cheap prices.  I had never noticed the Kiehl's counter in John Lewis before and my bank account wishes it had stayed like that.  The sales assistant did an admiral job and nearly convinced me to also buy their night elixir (I have heard good things) and their most expensive toner but I managed to stay strong.  This feels like such a treat on my skin and you can use it two ways.  First as a simple moisturiser or as a cleanser with some hot water.  My skin just soaks this up and loves it.  It makes my skin glow and feel soft and looked after.  Worth every penny.  Again a little goes a very long way so even though I love this to pieces I feel like I've barely made a dent in it.


Boots Botanics Toner
Cleaning Toner All Bright | Botanics  Boots | £2.69 | Online
Toner was one of those things that I didn't even know existed and I wasn't even sure if I needed it.  After some consulting on Nouvelle Daily I thought it would be worth a try and if I didn't like it so be it. I settled on one from Boots because their Botanics range was both decently priced and it generally has a good reputation.  I'm still not 100% decided if toner is something to bother with but when I do add it to my skin routine I feel fresh and it gets those last stubborn bits of make up.  It's probably one of those things I could live without so I'm undecided what to do when this runs out.

What are some of your favourite skin care products? Anything you can recommend me?

More soon
x


| find me on twitter, instagram, pinterest and bloglovin |

1 comment

  1. I love Lush! Although a lot of there stuff is very drying on my skin and hair. Have you tried anything else made by them?

    ReplyDelete

All your comments are very much appreciated! If you have any questions either leave them with your comments or get in touch with me here: ninanenor@gmail.com @the_littlenomad

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
| the little nomad |. All rights reserved. © Maira Gall.