Wednesday, 29 January 2014

Nina Eats (and drinks) - Barker Tea House

When I heard a tea house was opening in Cardiff I sang a hallelujah.  Slowly there are some great coffee shops creeping onto the Cardiff scene and Barker Tea House is actually the sister institution to Coffee Barker which is one of my favourite places in Cardiff.  The arrival of Barker Tea House has been highly anticipated and it finally opened in January.  My friend Ellie came to visit me in Cardiff so of course we couldn't pass up on the opportunity to visit!

We went for the afternoon tea which was £17.50 per person.  We were allowed to choose our own tea to accompany all our goodies.  There was a massive choice of teas (70 to be precise) which was a little overwhelming and could be hard for those who don't have any tea knowledge.  But the staff are very helpful and will help you pick a tea if you're stuck.  I wanted to try something new and went for a flowering tea called 'Celebration' on recommendation of one of the staff members.  It was an interesting, it was a very delicate tea which at times got overpowered by all the tasty treats we were given.  Probably would have been better to go for a solid Earl Grey.  

Our huge stack of food arrived and we nearly died at how much there was! The sandwiches were lovely, neither Ellie nor me ate the salmon one so that was sadly lost on us.  The scones were on point, the cream was clotted as well so that was an extra point there.  The cake on my tier was salted caramel and we also got little chocolate truffles.  Neither of us could finish our tiers, so we were given boxes and had some very happy people back at home who were happy to receive our leftovers.

Barker Tea House do two different types of afternoon tea as it turns out, one that is the afternoon tea we went for and the other is 'luxury afternoon tea' which comes in at only £6.95 which I really want to try next.  It would make sense to share one afternoon tea, there was just so much food I felt like we barely made a dent in it!  It was just an all round lovely experience.  The atmosphere is just wonderful, Louis Armstrong and other jazz was playing as we munched away and drank our tea.

I can't wait to come back to work my way through their tea menu, the choice is just mind blowing.  I highly recommend going for high tea, or even just for a cup of tea to soak in the beautiful surroundings.  The owner have put in so much work and the tea house is the perfect accompanying sister to their original coffee house.  Well done!




Price: ££
High Street Arcade, CF10 1BB Cardiff
Opening times: Monday to Saturday: 08:30 - 17:30 Sunday: 10:30 - 16:30
Telephone: 029 2034 1390
Twitter

| find me on twitter, instagram, pinterest and bloglovin |

13 comments

  1. Wow, looks like a gorgeous tea room! I love the scones and clotted cream in afternoon teas. Looks like such good value for money too. My friend goes to Cardiff uni so I might have to persuade her to visit this with me!

    Rhiannon xx
    http://everythingbutthekitchen.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum yum, this place looks awesome! What a slab of cake aha! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is my ideal place to eat and drink.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This place looks amazing - so cosy and cool! And now I'm really craving a good ole scone... Mmmm :-) x

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks gorgeous ,I'm drooling a little. 70 tea choices is amazing! They only had something like 4 at the last place I went, The Celtic Manor which was so disappointing. x

    Leanne - A Slice of My Life

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks awesome! I've never been to a place like this i really want to <3

    ReplyDelete
  7. OOooooooh yum! I am in a mood for afternoon tea now! :)

    Mademoiselle-Lala.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. hi! just found your blog, it's all so pretty! i live in cardiff to and recently went to the tea room... but somehow managed to order coffee.x

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks like such a beautiful tea room - I love the exposed brick walls and the big leather chairs, just lovely. And the afternoon tea itself looks wonderful, practically drooling over those big slices of cake!

    x

    ReplyDelete
  10. I absolutely love that place :) Love this post xo

    www.goldilocksnotebook.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. it looks deliiiiiiiciouuuuus and your outfit or at least what i see of it is lovely !! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you so so much for your lovely comment! <3 I try to distract myself from it as much as I can.

    This afternoon tea and the place itself looks sooo nice! Can't believe they have so many different teas to offer. Love your coat by the way, I just ordered the same yesterday ;)

    xx Vivi
    http://frostedpearl.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, Barker Tea House looks adorable. I love that there are 70 tea to try from and the price sounds very reasonable. I recently visited their coffee shop & was very impressed - definitely should have gone for the Tea House :-) is it your favourite place for Afternoon Tea in Cardiff?

    Sarah x
    www.morethanjustacupcakelover.co.uk

    ReplyDelete

All your comments are very much appreciated! If you have any questions either leave them with your comments or get in touch with me here: ninanenor@gmail.com @the_littlenomad

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
| the little nomad |. All rights reserved. © Maira Gall.