Thursday, 16 January 2014

Nina Eats - The Gusty Goose


Apologies for being slightly MIA recently, I've been back in the UK for a week but had an exam and an assignment deadline all due the beginning of this week.  Once that was all done and dusted it was time to celebrate with some good food and a nice glass of wine.  The restaurant of choice was The Gusty Goose.  And what a good choice it was!

Haddock amuse-bouche
Venison steak with sea salted fries, fried egg and vegetables
 Wild mushroom, sun blush tomatoes and walnut linguine 

We got a complimentary amuse-bouche which was some kind of haddock paste on a little crunchy cracker.  Neither my date nor I like fish but we gave it a try anyway.  I surprisingly enjoyed it, it's good to try something new once in a while.  For main my date went for venison steak and I hit up the other end of the spectrum and went veggie on recommendation of the waitress.  The venison steak was delicious and cooked to perfection.  The portion was quite generous and getting a venison steak for £14 is pretty impressive.  The chips were also on point.  My linguine were great, I would have liked my pasta to be a bit more 'al dente' but I pretty much like my pasta uncooked.  It was a really nice seasonal and had lots of different types of mushrooms.  As you can see our plates were just short of being licked clean.

For dessert I had the berry eton mess and my date had the brownie.  Both were excellent and it was a struggle for me to even finish my dessert, it was misleadingly filling.

Our bill, including a glass of wine for me and beer for my date, came to £40 which I thought was great value for our money.  I'm not a massive fan of the decor, the brown sofa wallpaper wouldn't have been my first choice, but the food makes up for what the decor lacks.  There aren't many tables so the atmosphere is cosy.  The menu is also based on seasonal ingredients so it's perfect for the cold rainy nights we've been having.  I'm looking forward to seeing the menu change for spring and summer.  If you're a Cardiff local then I can't recommend this place enough.  The restaurant is a nice addition to the Cathays dining scene which is normally dominated by kebab shops and fast food places.  Happy days, I'll be back for more.

Chocolate and amaretto brownie
Winter berry eton mess 

Price: ££
145 Crwys Road, Cardiff CF24 4NH
Opening times: Monday to Saturday 9am to 21:30 Sunday 9am to 17:00
Telephone: 029 2022 8523
Website


| find me on twitter, instagram, pinterest and bloglovin |

5 comments

  1. Woohoo for getting the exam and assignment out of the way! This place looks fancy, the linguine looks really good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Food looks amazing, especially dessert!! xx

    ReplyDelete

All your comments are very much appreciated! If you have any questions either leave them with your comments or get in touch with me here: ninanenor@gmail.com @the_littlenomad

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
| the little nomad |. All rights reserved. © Maira Gall.