Friday, 28 March 2014

Powis Castle


A few weeks I popped over the boarder to England and met up with my parents who were visiting the UK.  We wanted to spend a nice day together and thankfully we had the best weather for it.  Even though I took the train over to England we actually ended up taking a 20 minute drive back to Wales to check out the stunning Powis castle.

A very wise welsh girl once told me that "Wales contrains more castles per square mile than any other country in the world.  So we're all basically princesses" and visiting Powis castle certainly made me feel like a princess even though I'm not a Welsh babe!

Construction on the castle began circa 1200 and it began life as a medieval fortress.  It's been remodelled and embellished for more then 400 years, reflecting the ambitions of the Herbert family.



We didn't have enough time to check out the castle itself but we were quite happy to walk around the stunning garden.  Some of the trees planted closest to the castle were planted in the 1800s which just blows my mind!

There are some amazing Edwardian cottages located on the grounds which you can actually rent and stay in and I imagine it would be the perfect get away! The countryside surrounding the castle is absolutely breathtaking and it would be the perfect place to get away and just relax and go for long walks around the grounds.  I felt like I was walking around in the setting of ony of my gloriously tacky historical novels (a girl's got to read something mind numbing when she's studying!).  I love visiting places like this, you're walking around history.  Generations of the Herbert family have lived and worked here, the family name originates from 1461 so there's a great big chunk of history to explore!

After our walk we grabbed some food from the cafe.  What's great about the National Trust is that it's all about promoting local history and food.  My brother and I inhaled our pork and apple burgers with relish.   We were sat inside so we didn't have to put up with sneaky peacocks trying to steal our food.  Other visitors weren't so lucky!

If you're in the Welshpool area I can't recommend Powis castle enough.  But I also highly recommend checking out the National Trust near you.  You can sign up to be a National Trust member, you pay an annual fee but then you have free entry to ALL National Trust sites across the UK.  If you're 25 and under it only costs you £20.50 which is such a steal! If I had a car I'd sign up to the Trust straightaway and take a weekend trip somewhere new every weekend.

Hope you enjoyed these photos as much as I enjoyed taking them!

More soon
x



Powis Castle
Welshpool, Powys, SY21 8RF
Telephone: 01938 551944

Castle opening times: 12:30 - 16:00 (depends on the time of year I think)
Castle tours: by tour 11:00 - 12:30
Museum: 12:00 - 16:00
Garden: 11:00 - 16:00

| find me on twitter, instagram, pinterest and bloglovin |

4 comments

  1. Seriously beautiful, I love the peacocks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks so beautiful! I am hoping to move to Wales for uni soon so I will hopefully be able to check out some castles in between manic studying! :)
    theemeralddove21.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  3. awww what a beautiful pictures!! ♥

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are beautiful photos! Just seeing bright blue skies makes me happy, SO HAPPY! x

    ReplyDelete

All your comments are very much appreciated! If you have any questions either leave them with your comments or get in touch with me here: ninanenor@gmail.com @the_littlenomad

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
| the little nomad |. All rights reserved. © Maira Gall.