Wednesday, 19 March 2014

Stress Management


I'll be the very first person to put my hand up and say that stress is the one thing that really gets me down.  I think since doing my A-Levels stress has always been present academically but then also in my personal life there has always been something getting me stressed and then getting me down.

In the past I've let stress control me and take over my life.  I've panicked so much during the day that even at night my heart won't stop racing and my mind won't stop making endless mental lists of what is still left to do.  Or if my mind wants to give me a break it starts to spiral out of control and work out impossible scenarios of what is going to happen when I fail at whatever I'm stressing about.  I do believe that so many of my past mental health problems have been linked to stress.

But then I watched Kelly McGonigal's lecture called How To Make Stress Your Friend and it's really made me rethink everything I thought I knew about stress.  I think I've started to realise that the way I've been going on is not great.  Thinking of stress as the enemy has allowed it to control my life; but by seeing stress as the motivator to rise to a challenge is something new to me.  I need to start seeing stress as the boost of energy that gives me the push to motivate myself and to take up the courage to not back down.

Whilst I'm mulling over my new attitude to accepting stress I'm trying to be good to myself. Writing an assignment with my Drink Up face mask on and with a good cup of tea is balancing out my nerves.  Other little treats are spurring me on to be kinder to myself and to not be so hard on everything I do.  I treat myself to some flowers from the florists once a fortnight and inspired by The Grand Budapest Hotel I bought my first book by Stephan Zweig in a bid to give myself something to focus on when I'm trying to relax.  I've let stress make me feel useless and insignificant so it's time to change that for good.


| find me on twitter, instagram, pinterest and bloglovin |

9 comments

  1. This is such a great post and lots of what you said resonated with me. The TED talk you mentioned is really helpful - thanks for linking to it :)

    Gemma

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a great post and I can relate to it so much. I've been dealing with stress for as long as I can remember and in the past year it for sure became my enemy and created a lot of mental and physical problems. I will definitely watch the lecture, I could learn some things which could help me :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the first picture!
    http://maybettonight.blogspot.com.es/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can definitely relate to what you've said - while I feel like stress has been good for getting things organised and done, it's not a nice feeling to fall asleep/wake up to. Thanks fo rthe link to the TED talk, I'll definitely check it out later. I've decided I'll be treating myself a bit more this year! Good luck with the assignment :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I definitely need to try that face mask! I've bookmarked that video for another time, it's definitely something I need to watch too.

    Tara x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stress really gets on top of me too :( I moved out of my rents house in September to go to uni but didn't get halls so I had three weeks to find a house and sort everything. I'm glad it worked out but having only just turned 18 before moving out I've found myself responsible for looking after myself, and a house and bills and fixing things. Normal stuff that everyone can do but it's been crazy doing it all for the first time! Especially when my housemates are useless and can't sort themselves out!

    I've always liked to see stress as a sort of challenge, like yeh I'm gonna get through all this and then I look back at what I can achieve :) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Nina (don't know whether you remember me but we met at the bloggers meet up earlier this year in Cardiff with Georgina and the CSI blogger girls). Just wanted to say I thought you came across as very self assured and confident (I mean this in a good way!) so it's surprising to read this and I hope you manage to tame the beastie that is stress. I am vastly older than you (my 50th birthday is in May) and trust me when I say that the older you get, the stronger you get. Believe me, at some point you will be sitting in a pub with a large glass of vino having a good laugh at the things that used to worry you x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this post. It's very helpful and relatable.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This post was so helpful and relatable!!

    ReplyDelete

All your comments are very much appreciated! If you have any questions either leave them with your comments or get in touch with me here: ninanenor@gmail.com @the_littlenomad

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
| the little nomad |. All rights reserved. © Maira Gall.