Friday, 30 May 2014

10 Reasons to Love The Diff | Reason 1: Cardiff Castle



I very nearly didn't end up moving to Cardiff when I made my university choices.  Originally I wanted to go to Newcastle but my mum worried about it being too far up north and too cold, and then I arrived in Cardiff for my university open day and I fell in love instantly.  This September will mark my fifth year in Cardiff and so I thought I would commemorate this special anniversary by launching my new blog series highlighting my top 10 reasons to love 'The Diff'.  

With this series I just want to show you some sides to Cardiff that you might not necessarily know about and to give you a tour of my adopted hometown which I really do love with all my heart.  Cardiff may be small compared to other cities but it packs a big punch. 

Some background notes: Cardiff is the largest city in Wales, and the tenth largest in the United Kingdom.  Cardiff's motto is "Y ddraig goch ddyry cychwyn" (The red dragon will lead the way) and it is fiercely proud to be a capital.  Cardiff is also home to my first reason to love Cardiff:

Cardiff Castle



Smack bang in the middle of the city centre is the magnificent Cardiff Castle, supposedly commissioned by William the Conqueror or Robert Fitzhamon.  It started being built in the 11th century by the Normans and during World War II air raid shelters were built in the castle walls that were able to hold up to 1,800 people.  The actual castle is on a little hill surrounded by a moat.  It's well worth the climb because you get some stunning views of Cardiff from it.  Within the castle grounds there is also a 'main range' which I'd say is a little manor house within the castle walls.  The manor is beautiful and includes the stunning Arab Room which is simply breath taking.

If you're live or work in Cardiff you can get your 'Castle Key' which is a card that allows you free access for three years to the castle and you can sometimes get discounts off events that are being held in the castle too.  It's free so I can wholeheartedly recommend it! Last September the castle was host to the Cardiff Country Fair and the Cheese Festival, both are now firm fixtures in my diary! Tom Jones and the Stereophonics have played concerts here before so there's a lot going on.


I hope you're as excited about this series as I am, I hope I can open your eyes to the amazing things Cardiff has to offer and I hope you make a trip sometime soon! I'm going to also have a very special friend of mine helping me out with these posts, you won't want to miss it!






| find me on twitterinstagrampinterest and bloglovin |

9 comments

  1. This made me fall in love with my home city all over again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That ceiling is incredible! Looks like an amazing place to go to uni!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never been to Cardiff so looking forward to this series!

    Gemma

    ReplyDelete
  4. My jaw dropped at that first image of Cardiff Castle! Woah. I can't forgive myself for not having visited Wales yet! xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never actually been inside the castle, your photos look amazing!
    I was lucky enough to watch 'Phonics in the castle grounds, I felt so proud of Wales! x

    Leanne - A Slice of My Life

    ReplyDelete
  6. Its a lovely place to visit, an insider tip, one of my colleagues works there, you need to keep an eye out for a tour into the tower garden! there is a beautiful fountain garden on top of one of the towers but they only have tiny tours up there a few times a year, he is gonna let me know the next one as I really want to see it!! I think you'd like it too!

    Two Hearts One Roof

    ReplyDelete
  7. These photos look amazing, and I really can't wait to go back there xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely pictures <3

    www.thenorthernsole.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  9. These photos are gorgeous! I would love to visit Wales, it looks so nice xx

    Laura
    ediestrustfund.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete

All your comments are very much appreciated! If you have any questions either leave them with your comments or get in touch with me here: ninanenor@gmail.com @the_littlenomad

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
the little nomad | a UK/German travel and lifestyle blog |. All rights reserved. © Maira Gall.