Thursday, 15 May 2014

Nina Eats - The Smoke House

The Smoke House Cardiff
The Smoke House Cardiff
The Smoke House Cardiff
The Smoke House Cardiff
The Smoke House Cardiff
The Smoke House Cardiff
The Smoke House Cardiff
The Smoke House Cardiff
The Smoke House Cardiff

You know it's going to be a good dinner when you don't eat ALL day to be prepared for your meal.  The Smoke House in Pontcanna was one of those.  I've heard great things about this restaurant for ages and it's been on my hit list for a while.

The Smoke House is an authentic American barbecue restaurant with it's own smoke pit and the owners spent 6 months touring America learning the way of the barbecue, so they must be doing something right.  I've never had food like this before, ribs at TGI Friday's pale in comparison.  A group of us on a double date visited midweek and it was heaving.  You get a nice bowel of pretzels whilst you read through the menu which you'll want to do slowly as there's a lot to choose from and consider! 

I went for the 'regular' rack of ribs, I can't even begin to imagine what the super rack of ribs would entail.  The ribs came with a great dry rub which gave the ribs a whole new flavour that I've never experienced before.  I also went for a side of pulled pork (when in Rome you know?). The ribs also came with chips and the BEST coleslaw I've ever had.  It was crispy and had apples in it too adding a nice little surprise.  The pulled pork was also amazing especially with the sauce it came with.  I had some of it extra for the ribs thankfully, without any sauce the ribs would have been too dry.

My boyfriend made the wise choice of going for The Holy Trinity - ribs, pulled pork, beef brisket plus smoked chilli dog, onion rings, pickled vegetables and barbecue beans.  Phew! It was a lot of food but it meant you could try all of the key elements from the menu.  I had a bite of the chilli dog and it was pretty good. Very different from what I'm used to in Germany.  As you can see, we all wiped our plates clean!

I made a battle for dessert and went for the key lime pie, a dessert I'd never had before.  I love the combination of the sour from the lime and the meringue.  The base also had some ginger flavours in it too which added another nice dimension.  My boyfriend went for the New York Cheesecake and I take it was good because he ate it happily.  Not going to lie after managing to demolish a rack of ribs I couldn't finish all my pie and I'm normally the dessert queen.  We left with slightly sore bellies but very happy.

So all in all it was a great experience, the food was good and the decor of the restaurant is very chic.  Not at all what I expected, I guess naively I was assuming it was going to be a diner theme.  There are lots of great pictures on the wall and the restaurant makes the most out of it's rather small space.  As for price, it was quite expensive but as you can see there was A LOT of food.  This is definitely a treat, mainly because the main menu seems very fixed, plus your waistline might suffer if you make this a regular thing! I will be back for sure there are still a few things on the menu I have my eye on!

More soon
x


The Smoke House Cardiff
The Smoke House Cardiff
The Smoke House Cardiff
The Smoke House Cardiff
The Smoke House Cardiff
The Smoke House Cardiff
The Smoke House Cardiff
The Smoke House Cardiff
The Smoke House Cardiff
The Smoke House Cardiff

Price: ££½
77 Pontcanna St, Cardiff, South Glamorgan CF11 9HS
Telephone: 029 2034 4628
Twitter
Facebook

| find me on twitter, instagram, pinterest and bloglovin |

4 comments

  1. Wow the food looks incredible you really are making me hungry haha

    Much love xxx
    <a href="http://christinanista.blogspot.de>http://christinanista.blogspot.com</a>

    ReplyDelete
  2. oooh wow, this looks amaaaazing. I tried the Hangfire BBQ last week which was so good but this is next on my list x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow this looks amazing. I'm not too keen on ribs but I love pulled pork. Plus that dessert! Haha I'd definitely not eat all day for this.

    ReplyDelete

All your comments are very much appreciated! If you have any questions either leave them with your comments or get in touch with me here: ninanenor@gmail.com @the_littlenomad

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
| the little nomad |. All rights reserved. © Maira Gall.