Monday, 23 June 2014

Nina Eats - Frankie's Italian


In the past I have learnt not to judge a book by it's cover and in this case what is beneath the cover is probably the best Italian food that Cardiff has to offer.

Frankie's Italian is an Italian takeout but my gal pal Welsh Girl Problems told me you could sit down and eat inside.  Craving carbs and real Italian food we settled in.  The decor is sparse but everything is so clean you can see your reflection off the table (of which there are only 3). We ordered bruschetta and a garlic pizza to share.  These are all just flavours that go together perfectly but it all has to be fresh for you to get the best taste out of it.  In this case we had no complaints whatsoever.  Warm crispy bread with juicy tomatoes plus a touch of basil and garlic. The garlic pizza was dripping with delicious olive oil, probably not good for the heart but good for the soul.

For mains WGP and I both went for pasta.  Eating pasta out can be tricky because a lot of the time you're given soggy and flavourless pasta that you could have cooked better yourself.  In Frankie's though, not the case.  WGP went for fusilli al pesto (fresh green pesto and ricotta cheese £5.50) whilst I went with fusilli Umbria (Italian sausage, fried onions, mushrooms and black peppers in a cream pecorino sauce £6.50).  Our pasta was perfectly 'al dente' and the portion size was perfect, we didn't leave feeling stuffed but pleasantly satisfied.  I've had their pizza before and that was equally as delicious (the last one I had came with fresh mozzarella which was delicious). 

I was naughty and took a slice of homemade tiramisu home for the next day and it was spot on. Gino also treated us to his homemade Italian version of rocky road (shortbread was replaced with Italian biscotti).

If you're a Cardiff resident looking for perfect Italian food that is fuss free and very much homemade and down to earth you needn't look further.  If you pick up any of their pizzas before 6pm it only costs you £5.  It's also worth noting that they make all their own pizza dough and you can really taste the difference.

Price: £
6 Mackintosh Place, Cardiff CF24 4RQ
Telephone: 029 2045 4234
Twitter
Just Eat

| find me on twitter, instagram, pinterest and bloglovin |

4 comments

  1. This food looks so yummy and healthy!
    http://my-fashionobsession.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Their Calzone is amazing!! We used to grab one for takeout when we fancied a proper italian pizza instead of a Dominos one!
    Two Hearts One Roof

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm popping this on my list when I go to visit my friend in Cardiff next year! Leave him some subtle hints!
    Sophie
    x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Uhh that loosk amazing! I'm having pizza tonight so I'm happy to look at this and not starve haha!

    amber love

    ReplyDelete

All your comments are very much appreciated! If you have any questions either leave them with your comments or get in touch with me here: ninanenor@gmail.com @the_littlenomad

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
| the little nomad |. All rights reserved. © Maira Gall.