Sunday, 20 July 2014

Nina Eats - The Potted Pig


Having survived my first week at my grown up job and not having seen my Welsh sister from another mister for quite a while it seemed like we should celebrate with some shopping in town and most importantly: good food.  Our restaurant of choice was The Potted Pig.  The Potted Pig is perfectly located in an old bank vault making it cool and a perfect hideout from the hustle and bustle that is Cardiff on a Saturday afternoon.  

We struck gold with the two course for £12.  WGP got the starter and I got the dessert so technically managed to get three courses.  WGP introduced me to the world of truffled Welsh Rarebit. Absolutely delicious. I can't believe I've lived in Wales this long and never tried it before! For those of you unaware of Welsh Rarebit it's fancy cheese on toast grilled to perfection.  The Potted Pig's version had a hint of luxe with truffle oil.  Pretty much perfect.  We also double chipped it I'm not ashamed to say.  Their chunky fries are the best (they were much better than the slightly anaemic ones that came with my BLT).




For mains I went with a delicious BLT which was so so good but I couldn't even finish it after having over indulged in the starter.  BLT is the ultimate sandwich to me and I'll always end up choosing it.  The bacon was perfectly cooked and it came with a load of crispy salad and fresh tomatoes for that extra crunch.  WGP went for pearl barley risotto with summer vegetables and that too was delicious and creamy. We wrapped it up with a gorgeous slice of lemon tart which had almonds and lemon zest in it.  There was nothing left on the plate.  We also treated ourselves to some cocktails The Potted Pig are famed for the well stock bar, specifically gin so naturally we chose gin based ones.  I had a strawberry fizz (Tanqueray, strawberries and prosecco), WGP went for a Welsh Garden (Tanqueray, elderflower, apple juice and orange bitters).


We left feeling on just the right side of full, we snuck in some more shopping and I had the perfect post lunch nap after.  I really cannot recommend The Potted Pig enough.  Our whole meal only came to £42 altogether and that was including cocktails.  The portions are generous and the food is just so damn tasty.  They change their menus up pretty regularly so it's always worth checking it out.  We got lucky getting a table at very short notice but if you want to eat here in the evenings especially on weekends you MUST book.

Price: ££½
27 High Street (underneath Zizzi), Cardiff, CF10 1PU
Telephone: 02920 224 817

Opening Hours: 
Tuesday to Thursday: 12pm-2pm 7pm-9pm 
Friday: 12pm-2pm 6:30pm-9:30pm 
Saturday: 12pm-2pm 6:30pm-9:30pm 
Sunday: 12pm-2pm

| find me on twitter, instagram, pinterest and bloglovin |

9 comments

  1. I LOVE it there, you must head back on a Sunday because they do a gorgeous roast dinner, the roast potatoes are to die for x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh Potted Pig is one of our favourite places in Cardiff, have not been there in ages - this has just reminded me of how good it is :)

    Laura x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never heard of rarebit before but it involves melted cheese so I'm down for it, hah! The food here looks really good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This has made me hungry, yummy food!
    http://crystalcosmicchic.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh wow, this looks and sounds amazing. And I agree, I tend to choose BLT sandwich when possible as well. A good BLT sandwich can be increeeeedible!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, I'm now suitably starving hungry!

    ReplyDelete

All your comments are very much appreciated! If you have any questions either leave them with your comments or get in touch with me here: ninanenor@gmail.com @the_littlenomad

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
| the little nomad |. All rights reserved. © Maira Gall.