Tuesday, 14 October 2014

Romance & Love For Beginners

Love and romance. We all want it, not all of us have it. When we have it we don't treasure it nearly enough and when we don't have it the world seems to revolve around it. It's the subject of countless films, some get it right and some films just give us completely false expectations (we'll talk about that one later). There's millions of songs about love and love songs that last through the ages, songs to cry to after a break up and songs that remind you there's always new love around the corner.

So much has been written about love and romance, but some people have said it better than I ever could:

“Love is blind and lovers cannot see, the pretty follies that themselves commit” - William ShakespeareThe Merchant of Venice

“Love gives naught but itself and takes naught but from itself, Love possesses not nor would it be possessed: For love is sufficient unto love.” ― Khalil Gibran, The Prophet 
“Have you ever been in love? Horrible isn't it? It makes you so vulnerable. It opens your chest and it opens up your heart and it means that someone can get inside you and mess you up.” ― Neil Gaiman 
“Love is that condition in which the happiness of another person is essential to your own.” ― Robert A. Heinlein 
"I have no notion of loving people by halves, it is not my nature.” ― Jane Austen, Northanger Abbey 
 “Anyone who falls in love is searching for the missing pieces of themselves. So anyone who's in love gets sad when they think of their lover. It's like stepping back inside a room you have fond memories of, one you haven't seen in a long time.” ― Haruki Murakami
“Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage.” ― Lao Tzu 
“Love does not begin and end the way we seem to think it does. Love is a battle, love is a war; love is a growing up.” ― James Baldwin 
“Who, being loved, is poor?” ― Oscar Wilde 
"Love can change a person the way a parent can change a baby- awkwardly, and often with a great deal of mess." — Lemony Snicket 
My recent (and continuous) bout of singledom has actually allowed me to take a step back and really take a closer look at love and romance. The older I get the more interested I am in it.  I've heard horror stories from friends about dates and boyfriends but I've also seen people I go to school with get married and start their lives together. There must be something to it. What makes men tick? Why are some dates amazing and why are some just the worst? How do you get back on the dating scene after a bad break up? How do you deal with unwanted advances? How do relationships stay good? What happens if it all goes wrong? Basically, romance and love is one crazy battlefield. 

I've started dipping my toe into the world of dating again.  But I'm going in with a fresh mind and with the intention to just go with it and not fall head over heels, which has always been in my nature.  

So I thought it would be fun to start a new series on this blog. I did mention a while ago that when I return to the blogging world things would be a little different around here. This is the first step. I know that we ALL have had some kind of experience with love and romance. I wanted to collect these stories and share them with you.  From bad first dates to good first dates and how to best prepare yourself for these, the first 'I love you', the bad break up and everything else in between this series will cover everything you could think of but always with a little lesson to learn. There probably will be some sad stories but I want this to be up-lifting. Life is fun and you never know who is around the corner.

This is also the perfect opportunity for me to share some of my favourite bloggers with you. I hope you enjoy this as much as I do!  

If you think you have a story to share please get in touch with me here and we'll figure something out.

Tis better to have loved and lost Than never to have loved at all.” ― Alfred Tennyson, In Memoriam

| find me on twitter, instagram, pinterest and bloglovin |

6 comments

  1. What a lovely idea! I have never seen or heard anything like this before. I am very curious about the stories! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm looking forward to reading this series! I would love to contribute but I have nothing to say on the topic, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I look forward to reading these stories! Eek the dating scene is way scary, good luck :P

    Anoushka Probyn - A London Fashion and Lifestyle Blog

    ReplyDelete
  4. As a girl going through the world of singledom for the first time in 6 years, I'd love to read your posts as well! Maybe I should do some of my own!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I look forward to this series. Awesome post!

    Really liking the idea and wish I would dare to write about love - it's just so complex to me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, this sounds promising! I'm nearly 26 and never had a relationship. I also don't date. I see myself as a spinster already ahah!

    ReplyDelete

All your comments are very much appreciated! If you have any questions either leave them with your comments or get in touch with me here: ninanenor@gmail.com @the_littlenomad

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
| the little nomad |. All rights reserved. © Maira Gall.