Sunday, 9 November 2014

Things Nina Did - Riverside Market


There are few things worth getting up early for on a Sunday morning as far as I'm concerned. Mostly my Sundays are designated for my bed and Netflix but Sophie and I wanted food and cronuts. So I'll make an exception for Riverside Market. Riverside Market is a Cardiff institution and has been going for a long time. The success of the market has meant that a one of these pops up in my neighbourhood on Saturdays. I used to go to the farmers market when I was in Montpellier and it's something I've missed doing. I haven't made it to Riverside as much as I've wanted, it's a bit of a trek from my house and it's always a battle to get dressed and out the door.  But today I'd made plans with Sophie to hunt for cronuts so I couldn't disappoint. 

I was early (German ways you see), but there was a lovely tea lady so I was safe. The irony was that she only had this Canada mug (I was born in Canada so have a Canadian passport). Sitting down with a warm cup of tea looking at the Millennium Stadium was an amazing way to start the morning.



There was so much food, we didn't even know where to start. All of the produce was local and everything looked delicious. The market has gotten bigger over the weeks and it's amazing to see people responding so positively to organic and locally sourced produce. There were lots of people there and it was such a wide variety of people: young families with babies, Australians (from the rugby the night before), tourists, students and old couples. There's something for everyone. My favourite stall was the fresh pasta stall and of course the cheese stall. What's not to love about pasta and cheese?


So the main event: CRONUTS. If you don't know what a cronut is then I don't know if we can be friends. A cronut is a donut made from croissant pastry. Basically my two favourite pastries rolled in to one. Sophie and I have been dreaming about these cronuts for weeks and it was amazing getting our hands on them. Thanks to Cup & Cake Bakery our dreams became reality. I was of course greedy and had to get two. The one I'm stuffing my face with is the salted caramel cronut, the spare is a rose and white chocolate ganache cronut. HEAVEN. Just pure heaven. They do these ready to order so if you want to impress at the office then please head here.


If you're in Cardiff visiting then I really recommend popping by, but also if you're a Cardiff resident and you haven't discovered this gem yet get here as soon as possible. It's a great way to while away the morning with a cup of tea. Even if you don't buy anything there's always a chance to squeeze in some tasters. Everyone on the stalls is so friendly and love chatting about their produce, it's a great opportunity to engage with sellers. It's so important to support your local community, plus everything seems to taste better!





| find me on twitter, instagram, pinterest and bloglovin |

3 comments

  1. I have STILL yet to get my hands on a cronut. The salted caramel one sounds so amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really need to get to the market, haven't been for a couple of years since I stopped working on Sundays. Way too much hassle to come from Newport but it looks like the trip would be worth it for a cronut x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I get most of my weekly shop from the market. I had two cronuts this week too!

    ReplyDelete

All your comments are very much appreciated! If you have any questions either leave them with your comments or get in touch with me here: ninanenor@gmail.com @the_littlenomad

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
| the little nomad |. All rights reserved. © Maira Gall.