Sunday, 25 January 2015

Jesus take the wheel


You can't come to Rio de Janeiro and not go see this handsome chap. Cristo Redentor stands tall and proud and looks out onto the great city of Rio de Janeiro at the peak of the 700-metre (2,300 ft) Corcovado mountain in the Tijuca Forest which I think is the highest point in Rio but feel free to correct me. Christ himself is 30 metres tall and his arms stretch 28 metres wide. This is probably the most iconic statue in the world and has been on my 'to see list' for years.

There are two ways to get up to the Corcovado. You can either get a train from the centre of Rio de Janeiro or you can do what we did, which is hitch a lift with our driver Sergio. You can only got up halfway and the rest of the trip you have to take a scheduled bus. It's fairly straight forward. When I go back in December I'm hoping to take the train up, you go through the jungle and it's meant to be beautiful.


You can either take the lift or escalator up, but we braved it and took the steps. This isn't actually as bad as you'd think. It's actually quite impressive as you really get the build up to the statue, as you go higher he comes closer and closer. Once you reach the top of the mountain it's actually quite overwhelming, seeing something you've only ever seen on television in person is very moving. 

A word to the wise (which should be daily obvious): get here early because this is THE highlight for many tourists. It was already fairly busy when we were there around 10am. Also wearing bug repellent there were loads of flying ants everywhere. Slather up in sun cream and stay hydrated!


On the way back from Christ the Redeemer we drove through the Tijuca Forest. The Tijuca Forest which is claimed to be the world's largest urban forest, covering some 32 km². It was stunning and honestly breath taking. You feel like you're deep in the Amazon forest with no one around you, but in reality you're in one of Brazil's most populated cities. It was amazing to see flowers and plants that I had never seen before and loads of exotic wildlife like monkeys.

I'm still dreaming of this holiday, I still have a few exciting posts to share with you. Bare with me!



| find me on twitter, instagram, pinterest and bloglovin |

6 comments

  1. I remember this from Idiot abroad, the scenery looked amazing! :) wonderful photographs x

    www.sheintheknow.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those photos are amazing! I wish I was somewhere bright and sunny right now... x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow the photos are mind-blowing!
    Sophie
    X

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah the view from up there is amazing! Definitely very crowded though, haha. I took the train up through the jungle, I definitely would like to see more of that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh wow. Rio looks amazing. I have never been but I really really want to go one day. Now more than ever.
    Those are some awesome pictures.

    Just popped by to let you know i have nominated you for The Very inspiring Blogger Award. You're post really touch me. You have a really inspiring blog. You can check out my post about it here: http://www.dandelionblue.co.uk/2015/01/the-very-inspiring-blogger-award.html#more

    xx Dandy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your photography is always so perfect and Rio de Janeiro has been on my places to visit list since doing a school project on Brazil years ago....seeing these makes me want to go more than ever! x

    charlottesheadoverheels.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete

All your comments are very much appreciated! If you have any questions either leave them with your comments or get in touch with me here: ninanenor@gmail.com @the_littlenomad

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
| the little nomad |. All rights reserved. © Maira Gall.