Saturday, 10 January 2015

Parque Lage



On one of the less hot days we went to explore the famous Parque Lage. This garden is located in the well known Jardim Botânico neighborhood which is at the foot of the Corcovado. The garden was formerly the residence of industrialist Enrique Lage and his wife, singer Gabriella Besanzoni. During the 1920s Lage had the mansion remodeled. In the 1960s the land became a public park, with walking trails through subtropical forest. The Escola de Artes Visuais do Parque Lage (Visual Arts School of Parque Lage) and a café open to the public operate from the former mansion.


The park is stunning. You feel like you're walking around in the jungle. There is a little tower ruin and it makes it feel like you're in a movie scene. South America has such interesting history and influences. I've been reading a lot about it and getting really interested. I've never been in such a country with these kinds of influences and it's amazing to have seen so many new and amazing things.


The stunning mansion in this park is home to the Escola de Artes Visuais do Parque Lage. It has become an important hub in Rio de Janeiro where seminars and talks take place. The art of the students hangs proudly on the walls and can even be bought for your own walls. My family and I took shelter in the shade and enjoyed a strong coffee soaking up the atmosphere. These pictures take me right back, I'm already planning my trip back.

You can hike up to Christ the Redeemer from this park, it would take you an hour and 45 minutes and is not for the faint hearted. If I ever make it to the gym this year (once I've overcome my laziness and gym ear) then this would be an interesting challenge to take on. But maybe not when it's summer in Rio de Janeiro. Walking around the park was hot enough!

More pictures soon.

| find me on twitter, instagram, pinterest and bloglovin |

2 comments

  1. Another place for next time! Although I'm not sure I'd be able to hike up to Christ the Redeemer, might stick to the little train thing haha. The mansion is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This literally looks like a D R E A M! I cannot express how jealous I am of your trip! I am thinking that I shall make it my mission to finally visit this year!!!

    Alix // Oui Je T'aime Aussi

    ReplyDelete

All your comments are very much appreciated! If you have any questions either leave them with your comments or get in touch with me here: ninanenor@gmail.com @the_littlenomad

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
| the little nomad |. All rights reserved. © Maira Gall.