Saturday, 31 January 2015

The New Year


It seems apt that this is being posted on the last day of the first month of 2015. January has been one tough month in terms of getting back into the swing of things. I'm making some lifestyle changes which hopefully should start leading to me being happier in myself. 2014 was emotional and a rollercoaster ride. I'm pleased it's over and that 2015 can bring new and exciting opportunities.

Ringing in 2015 standing on Copacabana beach with an estimated 3 million people was actually very emotional and overwhelming for me. The last 6 months of 2014 were probably the hardest of my life and coming to Rio de Janeiro was the balm for my soul that I needed. Putting that physical space between myself and old memories was exactly what I needed. 

People all around us where wearing white, or yellow and red. Girls had floral crowns on their heads and boys were wearing white linen trousers rolled up, flashing their fabulous Brazilian tan. Brazil is a deeply Catholic country but also oddly superstitious and pagan. People were arriving with bunches of flowers to throw into the sea to offer them to the sea goddess. A group of people had brought drums and were chanting and clapping with bells in front of an altar.

Once the fireworks began people jumped into the sea with their white clothes on, waving their flowers high above their heads. It was almost indescribable - the noise, the energy, the excitement and the sheer mass of people. It gave me goose bumps and nearly made me cry. The whole spectacle made me feel so small and just reminded me that there are greater and better things out in the world for me to accomplish. Being so far away from my home gave me the chance to lick my old wounds and get some clarity. A few parts of me still feel deeply bruised and a little broken. I'm trying not to rush life and to not build my walls up again but that's a different struggle.

Rio de Janeiro has shown me that people live with spirit, and that people with very little in life still live a full life. There's something special about this place and I hope I have taken some of this South American spirit with me to tackle the challenges of 2015. It's not going to be easy, but if it was easy then what would be the fun in that?



| find me on twitter, instagram, pinterest and bloglovin |

No comments

Post a Comment

All your comments are very much appreciated! If you have any questions either leave them with your comments or get in touch with me here: ninanenor@gmail.com @the_littlenomad

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
| the little nomad |. All rights reserved. © Maira Gall.