Tuesday, 6 January 2015

"Vida é um sopro"- Oscar Niemeyer


I'm shivering in my bed in Cardiff whilst writing this blog post. I got back from Rio de Janeiro on Saturday. I didn't take my laptop with me to Rio and hassling my brother to borrow his wasn't really worth the effort so I enjoyed a few weeks of blogging freedom which was nice and actually made me enjoy my holiday. I didn't spend the whole time thinking 'would my followers enjoy this?' so that was refreshing.


On our explorations we crossed over the water of Guanabara Bay to Niterói. Niterói is a municipality across from Rio de Janeiro. It has around 487,327 inhabitants and is the the sixth most populous city in the state of Rio de Janeiro. It is also supposedly the richest city in Brazil. The word "Niterói" comes from the Tupi language and means "water that hides". Most famously, Niterói is home to the Museum of Contemporary Art (MAC) designed by Oscar Niemeyer.



Niemeyer was a Brazilian architect, considered to be one of the key figures in the development of modern architecture. He is most well known for his use of curves and work with concrete. He lived until the age of 104 and kept his office headquarters in Rio de Janeiro. He is also responsible for the Sambadrome where the Rio de Janeiro carnival has taken place since 1984. 

Whilst the art at the MAC wasn't really my cup of tea (modern art never really is), the building itself is oddly stunning. The building from the outside is meant to represent a flower but looks more like a spaceship. The views from the inside of the building let you look across Guanabara Bay back at Rio de Janeiro and you can even see the famous Sugarloaf mountain and sometimes if you have beady eyes even Christ the Redeemer.


Niterói is well worth a trip if you're ever in Rio de Janeiro. It's an amazing experience to see Rio de Janeiro from another angle. The vibe in Niterói is completely different to Rio even though there are similarities to Ipanema, it's so interesting as a visitor to experience it.

Sergio (our drive and pretty much tour guide) took us up to an amazing view point. It's hard to describe how amazing and awe inspiring the view was. The colours were so lush and bright, South America has really stolen my heart. I can't wait to come back. I've still got a couple of Rio de Janeiro posts coming so keep your eyes peeled.

| find me on twitter, instagram, pinterest and bloglovin

3 comments

  1. LOVED this post, can't wait for more brazil to look at! the building definitely does look like some sort of space craft, and i really like the shape ..but can see how it's meant to resemble a flower, too. also, how blue is that sea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We didn't make it to Niteroi when we were there but this museum looks interesting! The view of Rio is amazing too. Ah well, will go there next time ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those photos are beautiful! I'd love to be somewhere warm right now... X

    ReplyDelete

All your comments are very much appreciated! If you have any questions either leave them with your comments or get in touch with me here: ninanenor@gmail.com @the_littlenomad

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
| the little nomad |. All rights reserved. © Maira Gall.