Sunday, 8 February 2015

Baking with M&S

 Ingredients provided by Marks & Spencer | Measuring Cups: Tesco

Mary Berry I am not, but when Marks and Spencer gave me the opportunity to whip something up I couldn't resist. Baking is something that is very much traditional in my German family but I struggle to get inspired and living alone means baking for one just seems a little excessive. I was hosting a cocktail party on Saturday night (more on that soon) and thought this Buttermilk Plum Cake would be perfect to soak up some of that gin!

To make this fabulous cake you will need:


       125g butter, softened, plus extra for greasing
       100g plain flour, plus extra for dusting
       125g caster sugar
       1 large egg
       1 tsp baking powder
       50g ground almonds
       100ml buttermilk
       4 plums, halved, stoned and very thinly sliced
       Single cream, to serve


 Method

• Heat the oven to 190 degrees Celsius / 375 degrees Fahrenheit / gas 5 (170 degrees Celsius for fan ovens). Butter a 20cm cake tin and dust with a little flour, shaking out the excess. Reserve 1 tbsp sugar, and beat the rest with the butter in a large bowl, until pale and fluffy. Beat in the egg.

• Sift together the flour and baking powder, and fold into the mixture with the ground almonds. Gently stir in the buttermilk, then spoon the mixture into the tin and smooth the surface.

• Arrange the plums on top in a single layer and sprinkle over the remaining sugar. Bake for 50 – 55 minutes, until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Serve with fresh cream.


My oven was a little temperamental so the edges of the cake ended up being a bit crispier (and blacker sadly) than I intended it to be. Despite being a little crispy it was actually very yummy and it was all gone after the third (or fourth) cocktail. The recipe was very easy to rustle up and I'm probably going to make this again soon and experiment a bit more with oven temperatures. I really enjoyed baking, it's very satisfying seeing all the ingredients come together into something tasty which can be enjoyed by everybody. It's got me inspired to try some more recipes. Any tips for this amateur? 

Thank you to M&S for supplying the ingredients!



| find me on twitter, instagram, pinterest and bloglovin |

3 comments

  1. So when am I invited over for the next baking session haha?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds delicious! Shame about the oven, but I think it still looks good :) I might see if I can adapt it to be gluten free then try it out for my flatmates sometime.
    Jennifer x
    Ginevrella | Lifestyle Blog

    ReplyDelete

All your comments are very much appreciated! If you have any questions either leave them with your comments or get in touch with me here: ninanenor@gmail.com @the_littlenomad

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
| the little nomad |. All rights reserved. © Maira Gall.