Monday, 16 February 2015

Galentine's Weekend







Valentine's Day can be a bit rough if you're like me and still licking old relationship wounds that haven't quite healed just yet. I know that Valentine's Day is just some commercial shtick designed to line the pockets of florists and be an excuse for Pandora to put their prices up. In the past when I've had a SO (significant other) to share V Day with, we've always kept it low-key with dinners in and more thoughtful gifts and I put an embargo on red roses. However, even if you're fairly level-headed and not at all into Valentine's Day the hysteria from everyone else around you can make you feel quite lonely. From the #blessed underneath an Instragram picture of a rose gold Michael Kors watch to Pandora rings and #boydidgood it seems like everyone has someone, and when you're single and still slightly broken hearted it's the worst.

I may not have a boyfriend, but I have something even better: fabulous friends. So in true ovaries before brovaries fashion, I spent a great Galentine's Weekend with my two great loves: food and my best friends.




In relationships I have previously been so head over heels for someone that I wanted to spend every second with that person. My weekends were reserved for my boyfriend and if we didn't spend it together I felt like I was cheated out of time with him. In hindsight this probably wasn't great for either of us. He could have used more space and I could have used a little more confidence to do my own thing and spend time with women who encourage me and are always ready to fight my corner.

I am a girls girl, maybe it's because I went to an all girls school but I'm a firm believer in female friendships. I gain so much strength from hanging around strong independent females who aren't afraid to do things there way and say no to following the crowd of 'cool' people. I always have a sore stomach from laughing after I've spent time with them, and always have a smile on my face.

Boys come and go, sometimes when they leave you they also leave behind a big mess - for me it's normally in the form of my shattered self esteem and self doubt. But the people who are there to pick you up and support you are worth more than any SO as far as I'm concerned. Nurture your friendships and use Valentine's Day and every opportunity you get to say thank you and show your love for the unsung heroes: your friends, who even if you drive them mad will still love you and will always tell you when you're being a little unreasonable and will always be honest with you.

Thank you for Galentine's Weekend girls, it's been more special than any Valentine's Day I've had.





| find me on twitter, instagram, pinterest and bloglovin |

2 comments

  1. This looks like the proper way to spend a Valentine's weekend, who needs a man when you have friends and food?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the idea of a Galentine's weekend! I think it's so important to spend time with other women and not devote all of your precious free time to a man.

    x

    p.s. I'm also seriously crushing on this cafe - how gorgeous is that stag wallpaper?!

    ReplyDelete

All your comments are very much appreciated! If you have any questions either leave them with your comments or get in touch with me here: ninanenor@gmail.com @the_littlenomad

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
| the little nomad |. All rights reserved. © Maira Gall.