Saturday, 28 February 2015

Things Nina Did - A Solo Weekend Break

Antico Restaurant

I had to go to our offices in London for work and decided to make a weekend out of it. It was a bit of a spur of the moment thing but I wanted some time to myself out of Cardiff and to explore a new city. It was quite exciting knowing I had a weekend to myself to go exploring and treat myself. I booked myself into the Tower Hill Motel 1 which is a German hotel chain that I've stayed in before in Germany. It's a stones throw from Tower Bridge making it a perfect location to explore and shop.

It was so freeing to have some alone time, it felt pretty decadent having dinner by myself with only a chilled glass of white wine and book for company. It was a great way to unwind and just take a step back from everything.


On Saturday it actually turned out that an old school friend of mine was in London visiting her boyfriend so we all met up and went to see the Tudor exhibition at the National Portrait Gallery (we're such geeks). I can really recommend it, there isn't an entry fee and it's fascinating to see pictures you've only ever seen in history books in real life. That morning I also caught up with another friend from school, it was so great to catch up and see what she's up to after school. 

London is pretty hectic and fast paced but it was great (and sad for my credit card) to be able to go into shops that we don't have here in Cardiff. I could have spent hours in & Others Stories, COS and the Charlotte Tilbury counter in Fenwick. I still haven't looked at my bank balance to double check the damage.

In the evening I treated myself to some German food at Fisher's, I wanted to go here ever since I read Gourmet Gorro's review of the place. The dining room alone is a thing of beauty and you feel like you're in a Wes Anderson movie. I haven't been to Germany for over a year now so it was literally a taste of home.



Sunday was a little less manic, I explored Brick Lane which was just a ten minute walk from my hotel. It's certainly an interesting area with some vintage gems to be found although I generally found that the 'vintage' prices were quite steep. Also there's certainly a 'Brick Lane look' which I don't fulfil but that's fine. Kensington on the other hand is more my neck of the woods. I went here with the specific purpose of picking up some Russell and Bromley loafers in the children's size (saving myself over £100 so can't complain). Kensington Gardens were stunning and a lovely place to get away from the masses. I of course also popped into Harrods but that was beyond overwhelming, there's something insane about seeing bags that cost more than your rent.

All in all it was a great weekend. I've had to be pretty independent from the age of 14. I've lived by myself and had to travel by myself for almost 10 years now but that doesn't mean I've always felt good in my own skin or enjoyed my own company. My weekend break by myself pushed me a little outside of my comfort zone and showed me that it's okay to spend time by yourself. I'm learning to feel comfortable in my own skin, it can be hard and scary sometimes but everyone should travel by themselves at least once in their life. It's very freeing and satisfying setting off by yourself.


| find me on twitter, instagram, pinterest and bloglovin |

1 comment

  1. Looks like a good weekend! I'm generally okay with being on my own, I just need to break down the last barrier that is eating in a nice restaurant by myself, haha.

    ReplyDelete

All your comments are very much appreciated! If you have any questions either leave them with your comments or get in touch with me here: ninanenor@gmail.com @the_littlenomad

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
| the little nomad |. All rights reserved. © Maira Gall.