Saturday, 25 April 2015

Penarth


There's a whole world ready to explore right outside my front door. I sometimes forget how fortunate we are in Cardiff to live by the sea even though it doesn't feel like that all the time.  I normally avoid Cardiff Bay, it's far out from my house and once you've been a few times you've done everything there is to do. Saying that, I'd never walked across the barrage to Penarth so knowing there would be beautiful weather my friend Simone and I decided to make a day out of it.

We did get a beautiful day of sunshine and the walk across the barrage was easy (just 1.1km to walk!), we arrived in Penarth starved and in need of a glass of wine so on the recommendation of a foodie friend we set up shop in Bar 44 for probably the best tapas I've ever had. Thank god they're coming to Cardiff this summer!


Penarth is the wealthiest seaside resort in the Cardiff Urban Area, it was very popular during the Victorian era with people coming from all over the country to visit. It feels very different to Cardiff even though it's so close by. Maybe it was the sunshine (and the large glass of wine I'd had) but it felt like a mini holiday. 

Having grown up in the Middle East I'm very spoilt when it comes to beaches and the kind of weather that precipitates going to the beach. Despite 10 years of living in the UK I'm still not used to this bizarre behaviour that happens with British people when the sun comes out, there were some very fearless people wearing shorts and paddling in the sea. As you can see by the photos I was battling with the wind and the abundance of rocks. I don't know if I'll be coming to Penarth for a beach picnic (I'll save that for an exotic visit to Barry Island instead) but it was so lovely to take a deep calming breath of fresh sea air.

This little adventure has got me excited for more sunshine and more trips away with friends.


| find me on twitter, instagram, pinterest and bloglovin |

8 comments

  1. Great photos, looks amazing! x

    www.thestylishcupcake.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely spring day out. I've been to Cardiff but didn't realise that this place was only an easy walk away.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks and sounds like you had a lovely day, the location looks really pretty!

    Natasha | www.ofthesaints.uk

    ReplyDelete
  4. Penarth looks so so pretty! I've wanted to visit there for ages, I didn't realise you could just walk there from Cardiff Bay - will definitely have to do that soon. I always feel so far away from the countryside living in Cardiff - especially as where I live when I'm not in uni we are surrounded by fields and just a ten minute drive from the beach - so it's lush to know there are places like this so close by! Also, your photos are amazing!! xxx

    Jessie | allthingsbeautiful-x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah you can't beat an ice cream on the beach!
    Sophie
    X

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Penarth, getting the river taxi from just by Pettigrew's donw there in the summer is very fun. If you or a pal have got a car I recommend Nash Point lighthouse and Ogmore if you want more coastal trips x

    ReplyDelete
  7. it looks so lovely there! really love your photography :)

    danielle | avec danielle

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great pictures, and what a glorious day to visit!
    Penarth certainly does have a different atmosphere to Cardiff, and I love the revamped Pier.

    ReplyDelete

All your comments are very much appreciated! If you have any questions either leave them with your comments or get in touch with me here: ninanenor@gmail.com @the_littlenomad

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
| the little nomad |. All rights reserved. © Maira Gall.