Sunday, 29 November 2015

Nina Eats - The Early Bird

The Early Bird Bakery Cardiff
The Early Bird Bakery Cardiff
The Early Bird Bakery Cardiff

As a German I weep at the sorry state of bread and pastry affairs in the UK.  Being somewhat European bread and pastry has always played a huge part in my life, I have fond memories of many a 'Kaffee und Kuchen' with various German relatives and catching up.  It's a vital part of our culture.  I always find it strange that in the UK where life revolves around tea that there aren't more bakeries and pastry shops around.

I miss good bread when I'm in the UK (the pre-sliced stuff you get in plastic bags breaks my heart), so it's with great delight that I heard a bakery was opening up a stones throw from my house.

The Early Bird was the brain child of Ceri Johnston and following on from an incredibly successful Kickstarter campaign, the bakery opened it's doors to feed the hungry and bread deprived mouths of Cardiff.

The Early Bird Bakery Cardiff
The Early Bird Bakery Cardiff

Situated at the heart of student life on Woodville road, we braved a typically wet and windy Welsh day and settled down to business.  We had the 'chefs table' and could see right into the kitchen to watch the bread and cakes being made.

The newly introduced brunch menu is short and sweet.  I was glad to see that brunch is served until 4pm.  Most weekends I struggle to get myself out of bed early so being able to have a late brunch is a welcome sight.

Whenever there's avocado on the menu I can't resist.  I've had many an avocado on toast but this one was special, the addition of the finely sliced radish and the chipotle sauce was a good twist.  It goes without saying that the bread was delicious.  For the extra hungry (which is always me) you can help yourself to more freshly baked sourdough and condiments.

The Early Bird Bakery Cardiff
The Early Bird Bakery Cardiff
The Early Bird Bakery Cardiff

After having tested it throughly, I can also confirm that the coffee is just as good as the bread.  The two go hand in hand really and I can highly recommend the cappuccino.  The filter coffee is on tap so you can refill as often as you like, no doubt this will be a popular option with the students once exam times come around again.

Ceri treated us to the French toast which was a slight twist on the usual as it was served with homemade brioche.  It tasted just as heavenly as it sounds.  Topped liberally with cinnamon and powdered sugar it was the perfect winter treat to round off our lazy Saturday morning.

It goes without saying that you don't have to eat in, you can pick up your cakes, coffee and bread to go.  Saying that, I'd recommend that you take the time and eat in and get cosy with the lovely jazz music and warm decor.

The Early Bird is a welcome addition to Cardiff's rapidly expanding food scene, especially right on my own doorstep.  No doubt I'll be back sooner rather than later.


The Early Bird Bakery Cardiff
The Early Bird Bakery Cardiff

The Early Bird, 38 Woodvile Road, CF24 4EB
Website
Twitter
Facebook
Instagram
Telephone: 02921 320520

| find me on twitter, instagram, pinterest and bloglovin |

1 comment

All your comments are very much appreciated! If you have any questions either leave them with your comments or get in touch with me here: ninanenor@gmail.com @the_littlenomad

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
| the little nomad |. All rights reserved. © Maira Gall.