Wednesday, 11 November 2015

Running

Something strange happened this weekend.  I had a slight out of body experience.

Since January I've been teaching myself how to run. I'm not lying to you when I say that 11 months ago I couldn't even run for a minute. It's not a gross understatement, just pure truth. I always used to dread summer in school because it meant athletics was always around the corner and the thought of having to run in front of my peers made me sick. I didn't understand how people could run for long distances without stopping, much less that they enjoyed it.

But in an attempt to get to like the only body that I have, I set myself the task of learning to run.  How hard could it be? The answer: very.

But 11 months later, some tears, some weeks of no exercising and countless re-tries of C25K I got up on Saturday morning with a mild gin hangover, laced my Nikes up and ran.  In fact, I ran my first 10km in 1 hour 16 minutes.

The out of body experience happened around the 9th kilometre.  I'd been caught in a downpour of cold rain, my brain was screaming 'you're dying just stop running' but my legs just carried on taking me forward.  Then suddenly it didn't feel like I was in my body. For a few minutes the beat in my headphones was all I could hear and it didn't even feel like my feet were touching the ground.  The song ended and I wanted to pass out.  In the end I made it to the 10th kilometre and collapsed on the second set of stairs back up to my flat.


Whilst I was running I realised something: my body is strong and capable.  I've spent years hating how I looked and hating my body, now I see how incredibly harsh that was.  It's amazing that the body I've hated probably since I was 15 is capable of doing things I never thought it could. I may not have a flat stomach, or abs, or be able to barbell squat with heavy weights but my body is still capable of doing amazing things.

I don't know whether it's down to the fact that I've really pushed myself during running or whether it's down to me also going to acupuncture, but I've never felt so physically and mentally strong in my whole life. It's probably the best feeling in the world because I worked hard to get myself to this place, and to reap the rewards is beyond rewarding.

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. Say you’re running and you think, ‘Man, this hurts, I can’t take it anymore. The ‘hurt’ part is an unavoidable reality, but whether or not you can stand anymore is up to the runner himself.” - Haruki Murakami, What I Talk About When I Talk About Running

| find me on twitter, instagram, pinterest and bloglovin |

3 comments

  1. It really is amazing how addictive running is. I was like you and hated running, but now I really enjoy it and kind of miss it as I never run much in Cardiff. Think I'll have to start taking myself to Roath Park or Bute Park for a morning run :) xx

    Jessie | allthingsbeautiful-x

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so awesome! I used C25K as well to get me running but I've still only been running up to 5K and stopping, I'm convinced that is the max amount of time my body can handle... maybe it's time to try C210K.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is the best kind of inspiration, Nina. Thank you! x

    Flora
    www.hardyandhay.com

    ReplyDelete

All your comments are very much appreciated! If you have any questions either leave them with your comments or get in touch with me here: ninanenor@gmail.com @the_littlenomad

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
| the little nomad |. All rights reserved. © Maira Gall.