Tuesday, 1 March 2016

Cymru Am Byth

Jumpers - Welsh Girl Problems

Dydd Gŵyl Dewi Hapus! Happy St David's Day!

The moment I stepped foot in Wales I knew I was home. I instantly fell head over heels in love with Wales when I came to visit Cardiff University on a sunny day in March 2009, just a few months before I made my final university choices.

What I hadn't realised at the time was what a monumental decision I had just made. I had been a nomad all my life up until that point. I'd flitted between boarding school and whatever country my parents happened to live in, whether that be Oman, Qatar or Germany. I'd never had my own base and I craved that.

Since that visit in 2009 I've completed my undergraduate and postgraduate courses in Cardiff. I made the conscious choice to find a job in Cardiff and stay here. Wales is my home now and I feel like I've committed to that pretty thoroughly.

'Wales Forever' - Welsh Girl Problems

There's something about Wales that captures my heart constantly. I think that because I never felt like a 'real' German, being welcomed to the Welsh culture with open arms was so important to me.

I have English friends who keep asking me "I thought you were meant to be German?", but how can I not feel so lovingly adopted by such a beautiful country filled with such warm people?



I find myself becoming pretty passionate about all things Welsh, like getting carried away by the Wales rugby team (how can I not when there are so many beautiful men on the squad - George North, Leigh Halfpenny and Dan Biggar to mention just a few...). Sport brings people together and having that unite people is very moving. 

Wales is a small country but full of proud and passionate people, you can really feel that not only on a match day but in everyday interactions which make every day special.

Princess    

The decision to stay in Wales was all mine, if I'd wanted to move away I could have done. I made the conscious decision to stay here and see what life here would bring. As it turns out I've never been happier. 

So shoutout to all my fellow Welshies! Hope you're all tucking into Welsh cakes and wearing your daffodils! Thank you for being my home for the past seven years and for making me so happy. 


| find me on twitter, instagram, pinterest and bloglovin |

2 comments


  1. Leigh Halfpenny is a beautiful, beautiful man 😍 I've only been living in Cardiff since last September (though my Gran is Welsh so I've always felt a connection to Wales!) & I've never regretted a decision less! I feel like I'm still finding my feet here but I love it -Dydd Gŵyl Dewi Hapus!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You couldn't have picked a better city if you tried :) Cardiff is lucky to have you! x

    ReplyDelete

All your comments are very much appreciated! If you have any questions either leave them with your comments or get in touch with me here: ninanenor@gmail.com @the_littlenomad

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
| the little nomad |. All rights reserved. © Maira Gall.