Saturday, 14 May 2016

Nina Eats - Oscars of Cowbridge


There's no better way to spend a Saturday morning than jumping into the car with some of your best friends and going on a mini road trip. Especially when there's good food involved.

So that's just what my friends and I did. Our Über driver Sophie (5/5 Über rating) took the wheel and a short 30 minute trip later we found ourselves in the gorgeous Cowbridge ready to get stuck in.


Oscars of Cowbridge is already well established but in recent times has had a little bit of a makeover including a brand new menu. You can tell it's popular with the locals because the place was packed when we arrived.


Unusual for my friends and I, we all sat in silence carefully taking the menu in. There's something for everyone; from brunch items to flat breads, wraps and burgers. There are also plenty of vegetarian options.

Oscars is all about offering contemporary twists on old favourites. You think you know what to expect but in the end it's the little details that give a fresh take on the old classics. With this ethos and the tasteful decor you know Oscars are on to a winner.


In the end after much deliberating, I opted for the chicken burger with an added slice of grilled halloumi (it would be rude not to). The breaded buttermilk fried chicken came in a brioche bun and was also served with parmesan, a crispy onion ring, a side of coleslaw, chips and salad. Plenty to be getting on with.

The rest of the group when for a variety of burgers and the delicious looking cauliflower steak served with asparagus, tomatoes and sweet potato fries. I loved my meal but had massive food envy when the cauliflower steaks were brought out. They looked delicious.

To wash everything down I of course had a gin cocktail and of course had the gin cocktail that was inspired by Queen Elizabeth's 90th Birthday. Tanqueray gin, lemon juice and sugar syrup mixed up together might not be everyone's preferred tipple but it went down a treat for me especially on what turned out to be a very warm day.


We all ate in happy silence. The portions were very generous, even I who loves a portion challenge found myself defeated. We were all far too full to even cast our eye over the dessert menu but that just means I have an excuse to go back again.

I very much enjoyed my first Oscars experience. The decor is great, the playlist was also well curated and the general atmosphere of the restaurant is lovely. It's a busy place on Saturday so it's fun to people watch and see everyone going about their day.

The service was excellent. The staff were very attentive, to the point where when they didn't stock one of the gins that my friend was after the staff physically brought out all the  different types of gin they did have for my friend to chose from. 

If you're not local to Cowbridge, Oscars is well worth the little road trip. The beauty of Cardiff and its surroundings is that in no time you find yourself in a completely different place with exciting things to explore.

Thanks for having us Oscars, we'll be back I'm sure!


Oscars of Cowbridge
65 High Street, Cowbridge, Vale of Glamorgan CF71 7AF 
Telephone: 01446 771984 
Email: info@oscarsofcowbridge.com
Opening times: Monday to Saturday 11am to 11pm

| find me on twitter, instagram, pinterest and bloglovin |

3 comments

  1. Oh yum, this looks like my kinda food. I love the decor of this place as well.

    Jane / deluminators

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks fab! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the interior of this place, and then to top it off the food looks perfect! Shame I'm never anywhere near Cowbridge!

    Annie | appletoothpaste

    ReplyDelete

All your comments are very much appreciated! If you have any questions either leave them with your comments or get in touch with me here: ninanenor@gmail.com @the_littlenomad

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
| the little nomad |. All rights reserved. © Maira Gall.