Monday, 30 May 2016

Treat Yo Self / Love Yo Self

Jumpsuit: Topshop
Shoes: ASOS
Sunglasses: Oysho

Confession time - I've owned this jumpsuit for almost one year and despite writing this post about it, I've never worn it out of the house. I went for a personal stylist shopping session in Topshop last year and let the stylist talk me into this. I was feeling confident, bold and snazzy in it so before I knew I walked to the till with it.

Once I got home I chickened out in classic Nina fashion and it's hung in the back of my extremely tightly packed wardrobe ever since.

I think I've said this so many times on here, but ever since I was 14 I don't think I've ever been happy with my body. In my head I know that if I stuck to some food rules and a gym routine then I could probably in all likelihood have that body I've always wanted. But despite some deep self hatred I can't find the motivation to stick to it. I also think that even if I managed to get what I perceive to be the 'perfect body', I still wouldn't be happy because I can fix what's on the outside but not what's running through my mind.

My body is wobbly, I'm sure I have cellulite on the backs of my legs but I don't care to check. My arms most certainly wobble and flap about, I hate wearing things without sleeves. My stomach jiggles and I can't remember a time when it was flat. I shy away from wearing things that cling to me.

With all that said, since early 2015 I've taken to running. I started off slow, it was hard and sweaty work. But in March 2016 I ran my first 10km race in 1 hour and 11 minutes. I'm due to run the Cardiff Half Marathon this October.

What running has taught me is that whilst my body wobbles and jiggles about the place, it can still do amazing things that it couldn't do before. With that vague confidence in mind this weekend I decided to finally wear this jumpsuit for its maiden voyage because if I can run a 10km race then I can bloody well wear a sleeves clingy stripy jumpsuit for a day out with one of my best friends.  So I did just that, and you know what? The world didn't stop moving and in fact, nobody cared about my body hang ups because everyone, including myself, was having too much fun in the sun living life.

I get so annoyed by myself and that my own self consciousness gets in the way of me doing what I want to do and wear what I want to wear. So this is me doing what I want to do and wearing what I want to wear despite what inner Miss Self Conscious says.

The moral of the story is, if you see something you want to wear - wear it. Treat yourself to it, wear it and feel amazing because you most certainly are. Don't let the negative voices in the back of your head get louder and talk you out of it.

"Accept who you are; and revel in it."


| find me on twitter, instagram, pinterest and bloglovin |

5 comments

  1. I love this post! You look great and you're so right - if you want to wear something, you should. Nothing looks better than confidence!

    Liz x
    Distract Me Now Please

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you look bloody fantastic! Loved reading about your journey to self love, it's definitely one we can all learn from. Our bodies can really do amazing things, and it's about time we started to show them off, regardless of how society says they 'should' look!

    Sinéad ♥ fabuleuse, toujours ♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great outfit, you look awesome! In nyc men can be so annoying gawking at you on the streets, and making comments, so I tend to steer away from certain outfits. I should learn to stop caring so much....
    Blue Jazzmin

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those shoes are amazing!

    Tanesha x
    www.tanesha-marie.com

    ReplyDelete

All your comments are very much appreciated! If you have any questions either leave them with your comments or get in touch with me here: ninanenor@gmail.com @the_littlenomad

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
| the little nomad |. All rights reserved. © Maira Gall.